The back story of the back story

So... I did let Jen take the fall for the bang-thinning incident, but there is actually a back story that has to do with Jen being able to sway me with thinning shears so very easily.

When I first heard of eyebrow tweezing, I knew it was for me. Because of my Italian blood, my eyelashes weren't the only thing that grew long and hairy-- my eyebrows were a thick disaster! I started plucking them at about 16, but they hit their worst "peak" (haha) at about 22. That's when they were too thin, and looked like half circles over my eyes. Yes, I constantly looked surprised. Jen was a friend in the college group at the time, but did anyone ever say anything to me about my eyebrow faux pas??? Noooooooo. The person to point out that my eyebrows were odd was the 12 year-old girl that I nannied for when I was 23, who asked, "Why are your eyebrows so thin like that?" There was no good answer-- only sheer embarrassment-- and I began the great grow out of '04. TV and magazines helped to point out the appropriate brow etiquette, where you pluck around your natural brow, etc., so I feel like I use much less of a heavy hand now.
Well, right after Jen and I moved here, we were talking and laughing about something and she said, "Remember when you had the half circle eyebrows?" (Please note, she did say this delicately and with much grace, but I thought I would get right to the point for the stoires sake). I died-- I thought I was the only one who noticed! I think I threw something at her while shrieking, "why didn't you have an eyebrow intervention with me at the time???" She said that she did not know how to approach it, for its not something that could be changed quickly.

Fast forward to now, when Jen offered me the thinning shears, I thought she was trying to intervene like I had asked her too if I was obviously making other grave style blunders (or on the verge). Jen assures me that this was not the reason and we had a good gaffaw over it in my room after she read the back story. There you have it. Pluck carefully.

This photo was taken on Christmas Eve, 2002. Shocking, I know.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

JenSasser said…
Mmmm... look really fabulous - be skinny... don't eat... :)
Aly sun said…
Wow. I am shocked, or is that just your eye brows?
I must have been too in love and getting married to notice those. I am truly sorry. This is what your sister is for... I think she should take all the blame. It works in my life.

Popular Posts