Woe to Zeke
I was not home last night when I got the call. There was a situation. We have a sick dog on our hands. Zeke, a retired K-9, came to live with my parents because he was diagnosed with a heart murmur almost 2 years ago. And it has gotten worse.
The "sitauation" was all over by the time I got the message, and I learned that he had run into his kennel and fainted. The family thought he was gone but in 2-3 minutes he revived. His strength gone, my brother loaded him onto the truck to go to the emergency vet. They told us that his illness was worse and we have to cut out all physical activity or next time he won't wake up.
We are lucky. His time was not up yet and we have fair warning. Yet, even with warning, I don't know what I will do when he goes for good. It hurts to my soul because anyone who knows me knows that this dog was a best friend up until I moved to Redding. Shawna (friend and fellow dog-person) helped to put it into perspective for me last night. She reminded me that is was because Zeke got sick in the first place that I could even spend any time with him at all. That perspective helps.
So for today, at least, the mailman is not spared, and the barking commences.
I want to hibernate for the summer. Life is getting too hard.


Comments
He gives you a glimpse at what unconditional love is truly like, gives you security and a feeling that you are worthy of such strong devotion.
Unfortunately, the greatness dogs give us is temporary and short. I hope I didn't come off as "Be glad he got sick..." that was not my intent. I was thinking more on the lines of he got sick and it was fortunate that when that happened he had you and your family to take him in and get to experience the all that is truly "Zeke". What a wonderful and truly unique experience. I think to put this into perspective you need to post the photo of him in bed with you...you know the one!
"We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment." ~George Eliot
I love the doggie pics, by the way. I have a chocolate Lab called Varjak, and he's my closest companion!
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.