Influencing America's Youth

Gird your children-- I am now an Awana Leader. Simpson requires a "Ministry Practicum" for 2 semesters, and that coupled with Cathy asking me to volunteer with her has prompted this event of hysterical proportions. We signed up for the "Cubbies" age, which is 3 and 4 year olds, where we guide them in memorizing scripture, singing, playing, and craft time (and they guide me into drinking. Just kidding.)

Last night was our first meeting with the kiddos and Cathy and I showed up ready to work, only to be thrust a scratchy polo shirt that we are to wear as staff. Cathy and I exchanged "are you kidding?" glances, but we begrudgingly complied. Now, as we sing "Hall-le-lu, Hall-le-lu, Hall-le-lujah, Praise ye the Lord," we can be completely uncomfortable in our own skin. A police officer came to talk to them about safety, and I had to turn my head hoping that I would not be recognized :)

Yet the kids, oh how they loved the whole night-- the singing, the coloring, the poking and prodding one another. It does make a person feel pretty cool when a 3-year old girl wants to sit in your lap, if for no other reason but the fact that she likes your bracelet.

What am I doing next Thursday? Why, hanging out with the Cubbies of course!

Comments

Andee said…
Benton just started Cubbies too. To say he loves it would be a pretty substantial understatement. The first night the only way I could get him into bed was to use the little Cubbie puppet he made in craft time to say bedtime prayers. He looks so cute in his little vest--almost as cute as you in your scratchy polo. On behalf of Cubbies moms everywhere, I thank you for the torture you volunteers endure, on so many levels, to bring us an hour and a half of peace.
Lesley Miller said…
The shirt looks lovely. :) God bless volunteers. I couldn't do it...
Shawna said…
SO...you passed the background check? OR....is this REALLY satisfying another type of "community service'?

Honestly though, YOUR Cubbies will forever be changed by having you as their leader. I was going to say "touched" but then that didn't come out right. You know what I mean. You will be great at it!
Aly sun said…
Moms everywhere applaud you!!!

At least everyone else looks as funny as you do!
Our Family said…
Oh I wish you could be Olivia's Cubbies leader, she would love you!! To bad you live so far away. :) Someday I'll get to see your beautiful face again(in person). Love reading your blog. Miss you!
Carla

Popular Posts