The Wild Kingdom
I went for a massage at my Chiropractor's office the other day. Let me get 2 things clear: 1) I am a poor college student so there is a good (cheap) reason why I visited the masseuse and 2) I don't even have a Chiropractor.
Let me back up. I had yet to find a Chiropractor in Redding, and I couldn't ever make it to Modesto to pay the $20-per-adjustment fee because I only came home on weekends. After standing next to a Chiro booth all day at a home show when I worked for the solar company this summer, I inquired about their fees. Of course, their fees "varied" but their introductory offer was amazing. For $20, I received: back x-rays that I could keep even if I didn't sign up with them, a heated spinal scan analysis, and half an hour massage. The first two things were blah blah blah to me until the magic words: $20 for a half hour massage. It was a great deal.
After the consultation, the Chiro set me down. It would be $4,500 for 6 months of "care and wellness" and that meant he wanted to see me 5 days a week to begin with. When I basically told him that he was crazy if he thought that I or anyone could afford that, he asked, "Do you have any family members that care enough about your health?" The thought of me asking my father for $4,500 for Chiropractic care caused me to giggle and say, "Nope, no one cares enough about my health."
3 months later, after walking out with my x-rays in hand, I made it back for my massage appointment. It was heaven. The only thing that bothered me was the ambiance. It was fine when I first came in, the soft music lilting in the background. And then, out of nowhere, the birds started... yelling. They were not chirping, as one would expect birds to do, but these birds were either doing the loudest mating call to attract potential species in a 50 mile radius, or they were being tortured, snared by some hunter's trap. Come to think of it, she could very well have been playing the audio of Jurassic Park. I started at the stereo in disbelief, that out of every "background music" CD that Target has available to patrons-- conveniently there in music box form as you enter the housewares section-- she chose this one.
Ah, Redding.
Let me back up. I had yet to find a Chiropractor in Redding, and I couldn't ever make it to Modesto to pay the $20-per-adjustment fee because I only came home on weekends. After standing next to a Chiro booth all day at a home show when I worked for the solar company this summer, I inquired about their fees. Of course, their fees "varied" but their introductory offer was amazing. For $20, I received: back x-rays that I could keep even if I didn't sign up with them, a heated spinal scan analysis, and half an hour massage. The first two things were blah blah blah to me until the magic words: $20 for a half hour massage. It was a great deal.
After the consultation, the Chiro set me down. It would be $4,500 for 6 months of "care and wellness" and that meant he wanted to see me 5 days a week to begin with. When I basically told him that he was crazy if he thought that I or anyone could afford that, he asked, "Do you have any family members that care enough about your health?" The thought of me asking my father for $4,500 for Chiropractic care caused me to giggle and say, "Nope, no one cares enough about my health."
3 months later, after walking out with my x-rays in hand, I made it back for my massage appointment. It was heaven. The only thing that bothered me was the ambiance. It was fine when I first came in, the soft music lilting in the background. And then, out of nowhere, the birds started... yelling. They were not chirping, as one would expect birds to do, but these birds were either doing the loudest mating call to attract potential species in a 50 mile radius, or they were being tortured, snared by some hunter's trap. Come to think of it, she could very well have been playing the audio of Jurassic Park. I started at the stereo in disbelief, that out of every "background music" CD that Target has available to patrons-- conveniently there in music box form as you enter the housewares section-- she chose this one.
Ah, Redding.


Comments
The bad ambient music was probably for the people who don't sign up for the big stuff. They say when they see you coming, "This is a $20 lady, play Jurassic Park."
Again, if you come for a visit, I can hook you up with my back guy. He doesn't wear deodorant, but he does wonders for the spine. :)
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.