The Inevitable
Wouldn't you know it that the moment I posted the last blog, I went downhill quickly and my health was at a precarious state about the middle of the Christmas Eve festivities. I did manage this photo of Dad receiving his "award" for the year in the form of a leg lamp, courtesy of Uncle Steve and Aunt Debbie. It was hilarious.
Yet, I want to brag on and on about how Uncle Steve and I were finally on the winning team for Trival Pursuit this year, but the victory was hollow because I was so very ill. On my knees in the bathroom in the middle of the night I thought, "Merry Christmas to all... and to all a good night?" Luckily, it was Christmas the next day and all I had to do was wake up and make it to the tree. It was a wonderful day-- at least that's what everyone told me. After Mick, Laura and Mikey made it over for "dinner" in the afternoon, I slept through most of the rest of Christmas. We did recount the blessings (Laura, Mikey, and Baby Thomas) and losses of this past year (Zekers) and were grateful to be together.
The house is so very strange without the dog. Perhaps I have not been blogging because of the pathetic nature of it all, but I have been quite upset over it still. I was reading a book recently and this Mark Twain quote passed me by: "When somebody you love dies, it is like when your house burns down; it isn't for years that you realize the full extent of your loss." I suppose that I am still taking stock of the devestation because of the events Zeke has missed in the past two weeks. Shawna Dean sent me a beautiful poem and photo that I read to my family upon arriving and it memorializes him better than I could think to. Maybe one day, I'll be able to post it on here. Not yet. It's still too soon.
Sleeping through Christmas was needed, but I received news on Christmas night that Jeremy (yes, the boyfriend!) would be in Sacramento the next day with his sister's in-laws and asked if I could meet him. I told him that I would be able to tell him better in the morning. I awoke to feeling better, but still sleepy, so I made it out for only about 6 hours in the afternoon to Sacramento and back. It was enough to see him, go shoe shopping, and hold his hand for hours and then come home before exhaustion hit. I did not even get any photos- or shoes for that matter. He's coming to Modesto for New Year's Eve to celebrate with me and to meet the family. Wish me luck-- no one has yet to make it past this stage!
Friends Amanda and Brian asked me on Saturday if I wanted to go to the Kings/Celtics game with them on Sunday evening. It sounded like so much fun so I said yes!
We all know that basketball is my world because I feel like a normal (not abnormally tall) person, so I had a great time. We were so close to the floor! I was having a blast, even though the Kings were losing badly, when all of a sudden, the mayor of Sacramento came out and introduced Olympic Champion Michael Phelps (in gray hat) and then gave him keys to city. We were stunned and the crowd went wild. Because he was wearing the hat, no one even noticed him courtside the entire first quarter. Notice Samson the Lion (correction: Slamson), the Kings Mascot pictured here as well....
After Phelps was introduced, Slamson disrobed and only had a speedo on underneath his jersey. Then he put goggles on his head and a gold medal around his neck. It was so funny-- as a marketer, I was thrilled that they tied Michael being there in so well.
I am on the upswing now, and looking forward to one short week off before my last semester in college. Who knows what this New Year will bring?

Comments
And nothing about hot nuts, huh?
Hilarious that your dad got a leg lamp.
And so precious that you got to hold hands with someone special. Your simple description took me back over seven years ago to when holding hands with my boyfriend was the best thing in the world (it just get better and better :).
Bring the young man by for a quick review.
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.