Quiet, Please!
I have no reason to visit the Simpson Library. I mean, it's not like I don't read, but I have a computer and internet access at home. From there I can actually access a database from the library and can cite information that way. Because of this, I should have NO reason to ever step foot into the library. Except there is a reason. That reason is an ugly, disgusting phrase-- a phrase so foul that when it comes out of a teachers mouth, the sound lingers in the air like a fetid garbage. Even now as I think about it I shudder. The words are: group project.
I don't know if its the fact that I attend a private Christian institution, where surely we all must get along and cheer for the chance at group projects, and upon completion we can hold hands and sing Kumbaya. For some reason the professors keep assigning these group projects, where we have to schedule time around class/work to meet and then I have to depend on others to help me make the grade. Inevitably, a couple of people end up doing the majority of the work for the whole group, and it's all so unfair. I wish there was the JC/CSU mentality here where you get your own assignment. I just like the impersonal aspect. These group projects are causing a new problem for me: getting into trouble.
See, I don't get into trouble. I think rules are in place for a reason and I try not to break them. Group projects mean meeting in the library and that's a recipe for disaster. Apparently there are quite a few ways to get into trouble in a library. As of last night, I have gotten into trouble every way that a person can get into trouble (that I know of): Talking too loudly in the quiet section. Reading too quietly in the group section. Pulling up a video online to show in class that had a cuss word and getting a lecture from the person in the seat next to me (except that I held my own that I had NO problem showing said video in class since it was relevant to my presentation). Not to mention that cell phones are not allowed. Excuse me, but if I am meeting for a group project, and someone neglects to show up to the group, I am calling them to see if they are coming. If not, I am out of there and getting ice cream instead.
Currently, I am holed up in my room, not breaking a single rule, though I should be writing an essay. Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya.
I don't know if its the fact that I attend a private Christian institution, where surely we all must get along and cheer for the chance at group projects, and upon completion we can hold hands and sing Kumbaya. For some reason the professors keep assigning these group projects, where we have to schedule time around class/work to meet and then I have to depend on others to help me make the grade. Inevitably, a couple of people end up doing the majority of the work for the whole group, and it's all so unfair. I wish there was the JC/CSU mentality here where you get your own assignment. I just like the impersonal aspect. These group projects are causing a new problem for me: getting into trouble.
See, I don't get into trouble. I think rules are in place for a reason and I try not to break them. Group projects mean meeting in the library and that's a recipe for disaster. Apparently there are quite a few ways to get into trouble in a library. As of last night, I have gotten into trouble every way that a person can get into trouble (that I know of): Talking too loudly in the quiet section. Reading too quietly in the group section. Pulling up a video online to show in class that had a cuss word and getting a lecture from the person in the seat next to me (except that I held my own that I had NO problem showing said video in class since it was relevant to my presentation). Not to mention that cell phones are not allowed. Excuse me, but if I am meeting for a group project, and someone neglects to show up to the group, I am calling them to see if they are coming. If not, I am out of there and getting ice cream instead.
Currently, I am holed up in my room, not breaking a single rule, though I should be writing an essay. Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya.

Comments
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.