Maybe You Had To Be There.
Amanda and her sister Laura handmade me a corsage to wear for graduation. "What is this, 1973?" you ask. Well, that's kind of the joke. Amanda and I had used to have regular meals at our favorite Modesto restaurants, pre-babies. One particular evening, there was a couple right behind us that was on an obvious first date, and the worst part was she had a corsage that was pinned to her shirt that was as big as her head. We could hardly contain our giggles through their nervous chatter with iridescent ribbon staring our way. After they left (hours later) we recruited the waitress to tell us all she knew. She told us that all of the kitchen staff had been chuckling as well, as he had came early and waited in the foyer with a corsage box the size of Texas.
Amanda and I then proceeded to make up first date hypothetics called, "What would to do if we showed up to a first date with a man handling a corsage." I think I was going to ask for salad dressing and then pop it open and eat it before he could even think to pin it on me. Amanda came up with the best one: excusing herself to go to the restroom and and it would "accidently" slip into the toilet during the sitting/standing process.
Remembering that fateful day, Amanda and Laura set out to hand make a LOVELY corsage, noting that they want to see it in all my graduation photos. Look closely at those photos, Yussman Family! I promise I will wear it. It might not show up very well, so just keep looking. Even if it looks like it invisible, get out the magnifying glass. It will be there. I won't cross that stage unless I have the sateen ribbon and silk flowers against my robe.
That poor couple. They were cute, in a nerdy sort of way. Shoot, they are probably married with child #4 on the way. Now, she'd look at me with a sardonic smile: "who's laughing now, single lady?"


Comments
I once showed up to a first date and the guy presented me with a dozen yellow carnations. I thought, "Hello, did you only have $2.99 to spend? I feel special." And then he told me he had called my father to ask me out on the date. Um, my poor dad was pretty much as confused as I was.
Oh, and Congratulations! Graduating from college is a big thing... it's a lot of work and dedication! Now the worst part of finishing... for most, it means getting a "real" job! Ick. ;)
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.