Be Whoa in One-Oh! (<-- that was a failed title for one of my marketing pieces. I thought it was clever...)
I am just now getting into the swing of the new year. Because of being sick and listless, my new year's toga for the party was thrown together quite quickly (i.e. threw on a one-shoulder dress I already owned and called it good). Victoria, however, went all out!
My attendance at the NYE party lasted about 2.25 hours, after which I drove to my parents house to crash on their couch. The time was 10:30. At midnight, I looked a little something like this (photo paraphrased for emphasis).
Well, I wanted to look list this. I was just dozing off around midnight when the sonic booms sent Sophie into a barking tizzy, racing for the door and the noise. I when I called her over, she jumped on my chest and huddled close, to which I giggled. So much for being ferocious; she was a fraidy cat. I lay there with her head next to mine, careful not to panic at the noise outside. Pretty soon, she got the hint-- the noise was not attacking her (or me) and she was free to settle down and actually go back to sleep. I even got some spiritual lessons out of this one-- sometimes I am quick to attack battles that aren't even for me, close to me, or about me. In fact, they might actually be celebratory, but in my pessimism, I might get it very wrong. God just wants me to feel HIS heartbeat to know that everything is going to be alright.
I really didn't have any resolutions for this year on New Year's Eve. I thought of some later, but I think they are more "positive life changes" than goals so I don't want to typecast them as resolutions.
However, I've been revising a certain list that I made when I was 25. Operation 30 was set and some line items succeeded. Items on the list were added and deleted on my 28th birthday and it was fun to look back to see where I was at that moment in time-- but things have already changed. And mostly, I want to really focus on things that don't take much money, because I think in experiences is where I find my greatest happiness (and therefore greater fulfillment).
So-- here's the old list: 30 things to do before I am 30
I don't want to cross things off because some are still valid, and some are o.k. to have as a "goal" and yet never achieved. However, I have things that I want to append to it so that it's an ever-fluid list of things to do, instead of a deadline-oriented "reach by 30 or else I've failed m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-y." (Read: the birthday will be hard enough. I want to take the pressure of myself now.)
The few things I have added are:
-Take an Improv comedy course. Specifically, a class out of Sacramento that I was recently e-mailed about. (Wait! I just realized that that was #17 on the old list. Well, at least I have a name to the course that I want to take now). Maybe I'll go a little further and say that I want to become an Improv comedy legend. There. That's better.
-Burst out into random singing. I don't know if it's my inner Glee talking, but when I went with Di and Victoria to Union Square before Christmas, there were so many carolers around the tree, and my heart was so full that I wanted to sing Christmas carols so badly! Not wanting to embarrass them- or myself-- I didn't, but the thought has stayed with me. Though, I would gladly be in an acapella singing group if I had the guts to start one up.
I don't want to cross things off because some are still valid, and some are o.k. to have as a "goal" and yet never achieved. However, I have things that I want to append to it so that it's an ever-fluid list of things to do, instead of a deadline-oriented "reach by 30 or else I've failed m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-y." (Read: the birthday will be hard enough. I want to take the pressure of myself now.)
The few things I have added are:
-Take an Improv comedy course. Specifically, a class out of Sacramento that I was recently e-mailed about. (Wait! I just realized that that was #17 on the old list. Well, at least I have a name to the course that I want to take now). Maybe I'll go a little further and say that I want to become an Improv comedy legend. There. That's better.
-Burst out into random singing. I don't know if it's my inner Glee talking, but when I went with Di and Victoria to Union Square before Christmas, there were so many carolers around the tree, and my heart was so full that I wanted to sing Christmas carols so badly! Not wanting to embarrass them- or myself-- I didn't, but the thought has stayed with me. Though, I would gladly be in an acapella singing group if I had the guts to start one up.
-Be a part of a flash mob. I have been quite fascinated with flash mobs on youtube and would love to be a part of one some day. Hopefully one in a zany costume.
- Surprise someone with a gift "just because."
and, the last one that I can think of tonight:
-See the need for help and insist. Sometimes, I know that someone could use my help. The problem is these days, people are really afraid to ask for it because of the fear that it "might put someone out." Well, I am a helper by nature and I could think a many times that I have heard the "help" in a person's voice when they are too afraid/prideful/exhausted to ask. So, I want to act on that and be more insistent. Currently, it's only ministry I have and God created me this way. I thrive on it. So, consider asking for help sometime. My flash mob debut will wait if you need a sitter. But I might just burst into song if you ask me to vacuum.
- Surprise someone with a gift "just because."
and, the last one that I can think of tonight:
-See the need for help and insist. Sometimes, I know that someone could use my help. The problem is these days, people are really afraid to ask for it because of the fear that it "might put someone out." Well, I am a helper by nature and I could think a many times that I have heard the "help" in a person's voice when they are too afraid/prideful/exhausted to ask. So, I want to act on that and be more insistent. Currently, it's only ministry I have and God created me this way. I thrive on it. So, consider asking for help sometime. My flash mob debut will wait if you need a sitter. But I might just burst into song if you ask me to vacuum.



Comments
You rock girl and I love the insights in your list as well. I can't wait to see you realize your dreams and fulfill some of these zany things.
b. Your dog is hilarious.
c. I love your goals, or whatever we're calling them.
d. Take the Improv class and join us for dinner when you're here!
e. I'm so with you on the flash mob. If you hear of one, let me know.
PS Please come sing while you vacuum my house (don't worry I only have one rug to vacuum). You could cross 2 off your list just like that. No toga required.
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.