We Are the World.... If By The World You Mean We Are Hollywood
We Are The World. 25 years ago, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie wrote a song and invited the musical elite to sing what would become the legendary ballad. Rumor has it that the sign on the door of the studio read, "Leave your ego at the door," warning the stars that this project was bigger than they were. I loved the original. I've pieced it apart and researched all the soloists, wondering why the each were picked.
Fast forward to 2010. Haiti happened. The Grammys happened. And then it seems like a light bulb went off "Let's do this again and spruce it up for 2010." They gathered everyone from the Grammys and headed to the studio. The same sign greeted them at the door. However, the "musical elite" had now been distorted and those let in weren't names I would expect. Julianne Hough? Bizzy Bone? Vince Vaughn? Jeff Bridges?
What about artists like:
Faith Hill, John Mayer, Damien Rice, Kelly Clarkson, Eddie Vedder, Whitney Houston, Dave Matthews, John Legend, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Carrie Underwood.... Alanis Morissette???!!! i.e. True Talent????
P!nk and Jennifer Hudson were the best things to happen to the new song. The biggest disappointment was the fact that Kanye West was given a "part" when I don't feel like his actions of late (or of early) should be rewarded-- though, to be fair, I'm glad that Taylor Swift wasn't given a part either.
It's a bittersweet remake. I hope that there's true talent still out there and perhaps another new song could be written and recorded, leaving this one for the history books.
Fast forward to 2010. Haiti happened. The Grammys happened. And then it seems like a light bulb went off "Let's do this again and spruce it up for 2010." They gathered everyone from the Grammys and headed to the studio. The same sign greeted them at the door. However, the "musical elite" had now been distorted and those let in weren't names I would expect. Julianne Hough? Bizzy Bone? Vince Vaughn? Jeff Bridges?
What about artists like:
Faith Hill, John Mayer, Damien Rice, Kelly Clarkson, Eddie Vedder, Whitney Houston, Dave Matthews, John Legend, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Carrie Underwood.... Alanis Morissette???!!! i.e. True Talent????
P!nk and Jennifer Hudson were the best things to happen to the new song. The biggest disappointment was the fact that Kanye West was given a "part" when I don't feel like his actions of late (or of early) should be rewarded-- though, to be fair, I'm glad that Taylor Swift wasn't given a part either.
It's a bittersweet remake. I hope that there's true talent still out there and perhaps another new song could be written and recorded, leaving this one for the history books.

Comments
--HYS
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.