The Unexpected

Friday morning, I received a text message from Cathy. She asked me if I could meet her and her friend Marcia in Sacramento on Saturday to go shopping. Cathy's son Marty and Abby are getting married this summer and she needed to look for a dress. Saturday night I had to be in San Jose, but with some very careful planning, I decided that could make it to both outings (regardless of the fact that they were in opposite directions!) Well, Cathy's friend Marcia was so friendly-- she extended the invitation for both Sophie and I to stay the night on Friday night to make our trip a little easier. We couldn't pass that up! So, when I got home from work on Friday, I packed Sophie and I up and we made it Folsom about 9pm. They have a cat, and Sophie wanted to play, but the cat did not like having her space invaded. I slept ok, but Soph wanted to go and find the kitty. She was so restless, but I growled at her to settle down. The next morning, Cathy made it from Redding! I LOVE to see them reunited!


Here's Marsha and Cathy in Macy's together. The three of us did pretty good on the shopping front, and dutifully sent the bride text photos of potential dresses. Cathy was pleased with her finds as well... I think. Hopefully the bride is happy :)
It was at the last store in the mall that Cathy felt her ear and one of her earrings was missing. We backtracked to every store and dressing room in the mall to look for it. Marcia and Cathy were each praying to find it; they were hopeful, I was skeptical. We gave up our search and came home, only to find the back of the earring on the hardwood floor. After a fruitless search of the house, Cathy then searched her car-- and there it was. The prodigal earring had returned! I was stunned. The prayers of the righteous were heard, even for something that seemed so trivial. It was a teachable moment of faith for me.

Sophie and her two of her three mommies, together again-- if only for a day.
I'll be in Redding in 3 weeks again for vacation. I hope this heat lasts so I can tan while I'm there. At precisely 4 pm, Sophie and I got into the car and went back to Manteca where I dropped Soph off at the apartment and then got back onto the road toward San Jose. I made the 7:30 show of "Fidder on the Roof" precisely at 7:30. I was so glad that I went! The oldest Friesen kids were in the show: Mere, Wes, and Will, and they did an excellent job. Emily sat next to me and I was so glad because she could fill me in on what was coming up. This was not just any high school play; I am continually stunned at the level of talent that I see from the cast members at their school. I didn't get any photos there because I was busy telling myself that I wasn't tired and could make the drive home just fine. I did make it back last night, but it required singing to Wicked at the top of my lungs. It was a full, but excellent day.

What did I do today? Not very much. Next time I'll spread the fun around a little more, but I had a wonderful time with my family and those that I consider my family.

Comments

Popular Posts