What My Present Self wants to Impart to Early Twenties Self
I was in Redding this past weekend, having a great time with Cathy and Jen and Sophie and I didn't take one picture-- not one. The sun zapped all my energy. It was excellent!
Anyway, my time away was quiet and it got me thinking. Sometimes I wonder if I've really learned lessons or if I just keep learning things the hard way. Recently, we had a rather young intern who swore that the return address on a letter went on the right-- the same side as the stamp. That's when I realized that I don't give myself enough credit for things that I do know.
When I was growing up, I heard "Please, use some common sense" often. I get it-- I had my head in the clouds most of the time. I was a dreamer, believed in fairy tales, and reality was a passing fancy. Well, reality is no longer passing; it has taken up permanent residence.
In order to aid those in their younger years, I'd like to impart some things that I've learned the hard way. Perhaps this might make life a little easier for you... or at least make for good reading.
1) Act like you own the place
I went to a concert a few years back at Modesto's State Theater. The friend that I met there was an acquaintance from church and he brought bottled water. As we were walking in, the lady taking the tickets said, "Uh, you need to throw the water away."
"Ok" he said, and walked toward the garbage can.
She turned around to take the ticket of the next person and he walked right in with the water. I was stunned.
"But, but, but you didn't do what she said."
He shrugged and said "Just act like you own the place. You can do anything."
I've used this concept a few times since then and it's really a good concept about being more confident about a situation than you may feel at the moment. (Note: I don't recommend adopt this attitude in other people's homes.)
2) If you HAVE TO wear nylons, first shave your legs and put on lotion.
Because you will inevitably get a run and have to remove them anyway.
3) Anger is always the 2nd emotion
Examine what are you actually feeling and deal with it. It should quell the anger. I should know. Anger and I used to be very close. Try to forgive yourself.
4) If you're a girl trying to be funny, you have to try at least 3 times to get people to accept it.
The first time you try to make a joke, people won't laugh. They will be put off by the fact that you've said something unexpected. The second time, you may get a surprised verbal, "Funny." The third time, you might just get the laugh you were hoping for. If they don't laugh after the 3rd try, give up, walk away, and find a new audience that appreciates you. Or you just might not be very humorous.
5) Opt for actual journeys instead of emotional ones
Someone told me that I took too many emotional journeys and should "get out more." I agree. My fear of flying shouldn't outweigh my fear of the unknown.
6) Gym is not just a boy who sat behind you in 2nd grade
Being sore vs. being constantly weary wins out any day. Your body can take a lot and you'll run at maximum capacity the harder you push. It makes me more alert.
7) EVERYTHING that's worth it takes work
I said this a couple of blogs ago. It was worth repeating.
8) Always let a professional color or cut your hair
I don't have time to gather the photo evidence. Just trust me on this one.
9) Don't just lessen expectations-- get rid of them
Expectations only lead to disappointment. Dreaming of the way things should be are just mirages in the desert. When you get the mirage, it disappears and your plummeted hopes are worse than never having seen the mirage at all. There is always room for God to work if we don't step in and try to do things for Him.
Well, here's my present self before a date. My coworkers wanted a photo of me before I left, and I chose the "pounce" pose because it went with the leopard print. Rar.
Anyway, my time away was quiet and it got me thinking. Sometimes I wonder if I've really learned lessons or if I just keep learning things the hard way. Recently, we had a rather young intern who swore that the return address on a letter went on the right-- the same side as the stamp. That's when I realized that I don't give myself enough credit for things that I do know.
When I was growing up, I heard "Please, use some common sense" often. I get it-- I had my head in the clouds most of the time. I was a dreamer, believed in fairy tales, and reality was a passing fancy. Well, reality is no longer passing; it has taken up permanent residence.
In order to aid those in their younger years, I'd like to impart some things that I've learned the hard way. Perhaps this might make life a little easier for you... or at least make for good reading.
1) Act like you own the place
I went to a concert a few years back at Modesto's State Theater. The friend that I met there was an acquaintance from church and he brought bottled water. As we were walking in, the lady taking the tickets said, "Uh, you need to throw the water away."
"Ok" he said, and walked toward the garbage can.
She turned around to take the ticket of the next person and he walked right in with the water. I was stunned.
"But, but, but you didn't do what she said."
He shrugged and said "Just act like you own the place. You can do anything."
I've used this concept a few times since then and it's really a good concept about being more confident about a situation than you may feel at the moment. (Note: I don't recommend adopt this attitude in other people's homes.)
2) If you HAVE TO wear nylons, first shave your legs and put on lotion.
Because you will inevitably get a run and have to remove them anyway.
3) Anger is always the 2nd emotion
Examine what are you actually feeling and deal with it. It should quell the anger. I should know. Anger and I used to be very close. Try to forgive yourself.
4) If you're a girl trying to be funny, you have to try at least 3 times to get people to accept it.
The first time you try to make a joke, people won't laugh. They will be put off by the fact that you've said something unexpected. The second time, you may get a surprised verbal, "Funny." The third time, you might just get the laugh you were hoping for. If they don't laugh after the 3rd try, give up, walk away, and find a new audience that appreciates you. Or you just might not be very humorous.
5) Opt for actual journeys instead of emotional ones
Someone told me that I took too many emotional journeys and should "get out more." I agree. My fear of flying shouldn't outweigh my fear of the unknown.
6) Gym is not just a boy who sat behind you in 2nd grade
Being sore vs. being constantly weary wins out any day. Your body can take a lot and you'll run at maximum capacity the harder you push. It makes me more alert.
7) EVERYTHING that's worth it takes work
I said this a couple of blogs ago. It was worth repeating.
8) Always let a professional color or cut your hair
I don't have time to gather the photo evidence. Just trust me on this one.
9) Don't just lessen expectations-- get rid of them
Expectations only lead to disappointment. Dreaming of the way things should be are just mirages in the desert. When you get the mirage, it disappears and your plummeted hopes are worse than never having seen the mirage at all. There is always room for God to work if we don't step in and try to do things for Him.
Well, here's my present self before a date. My coworkers wanted a photo of me before I left, and I chose the "pounce" pose because it went with the leopard print. Rar.



Comments
Thanks Amber-- you've ALWAYS been an inspiration to me!
And what!!?? The address label doesn't go on the right? Joking. Joking. That's a funny one.
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.