I thought I was Survivor. Turns out I'm on The Biggest Loser.

I'm on Day 14 of Medifast. It wasn't something that I researched for weeks or even put much thought into, but the opportunity presented itself after a friend tried the diet and was allergic to one of the main ingredients (soy). She told me all she learned from those who did it before her and why it's supposed to work. It actually lined up with everything my personal trainer told me a year ago, so my ears perked up.

What she didn't know was that I'd ordered pants for work online and received them the day prior. They were in my "normal" size... and they didn't fit. It was my "oh Tawn Angela LaBarbera, how did you ever let it get this bad" moment. Since I rarely buy new clothes, I had a decision to make. Was I going to buy bigger clothing or channel my efforts into fitting into what I already had in my closet, knowing that I would feel much better about myself in the end? It was a fairly easy decision to make. Well, it was finally time to make it an easy decision. Plus, my gracious friend let me buy her food at a lower price to try it out so that it wouldn't go to waste. Once I kicked it off (and lived), I made another order online and actually was excited to try more of the food. It was like Christmas when it arrived on my doorstep, and my old self kicked in, wanting to rip open every flavor to try it all. Self-control won out. When you have only 8 things to choose from for every meal, the novelty wears off quite quickly, but then routine kicks in.

So, I'm not advocating for Medifast or Jenny Craig, or Weight Watchers, I just know that we women have it hard. Not caring is not an option. I remember scanning old yearbooks when I worked at MJC and noticing that just 35 years ago, the student body was much much thinner without even really trying. What's changed? I won't go on my processed foods soap box because I'm as guilty as the next to participate when there's a time crunch (but cue my new lover of Jaime Oliver). The key is high protein, no sugar (even fruit!), no dairy, and minimal refined carbs only. Drink half your body weight in water. And eat 6 times a day.  That's the fun part :) Chilis isn't on this list. Neither is drinking. See all the money I am saving??

Here are other things I've noticed:

• Sophie doesn't beg to eat my food anymore.
• At first I felt like I was on Survivor, savoring every morsel and licking my plate. I'm past that now. 
• It only took 2.5 days to "detox" and now food is no longer on my mind all the time.
• Secret: if you truly eat that much protein, it curbs your sweet tooth.
• Water and I have a renewed relationship. Everytime I get hungry, I down about 16 oz of water  about 15 minutes before it gets really bad. It really works. I can even trick myself now that hot water tastes like hot tea.
• Before getting serious with this  particular diet, nothing seemed to work because I refused to sacrifice. I think that's the bigger lesson for me. What will it take to do what I want-- and am I willing to do the work? That's why the cost of the diet is key here as well. I mean, this is an investment:
I'm down about 4 lbs now, and my new pants fit me just fine. I can't wait until I need new (smaller) ones.

Comments

Shawna said…
Good news! I have contacted the friend who sold you the food and she has graciously agreed to donate the money to Madison's Trike A Thon!

I am making a gift basket with this money and for each $20 donation to the Trike A Thon, the person gets a ticket for a chance to win the prize. I am going to have Madison draw the name and post a video of her doing it!

It's a WIN WIN as I see it! Glad it is working for you!
Aly sun said…
I was just going to message you and ask about Medi-fast and then I checked your blog. My sister-in-law is doing it for health reasons (pancreatitis) and has lost 40 pounds in 16 weeks.

I thought it might be a good idea for me too since I am having trouble with my gallbladder. Such mixed reviews out there about MF. I've gone off sugar and limit my carbs, but still don't feel great. I'm even drinking this horrible green soup that is supposed to help. Seems like MF would taste better than that!

I enjoyed your post!

Popular Posts