Perry and Judy

Last Sunday, I was watching a movie with my roommates when the neighbor lady from across the street rang the doorbell. After calming the dogs, she came in to invite all of us over for dinner one night that week, and we chose Thursday night. I hate to tell you that I was dreading it--I had seen her husband him working around the yard and she was pleasant enough. According to my roommate Nicole, they were a retired couple who now thrived on being the neighborhood watch for the entire street, and I had a sneaking suspicion their motive of inviting us was to keep tabs on us. I pictured them setting us down on the couch, while pacing and barking, "Now, which one of you is having the wild parties over there?" (I would have pointed).

Contrary to popular belief, I don't go outside of my comfort zone very easily, and this one seem to be quite the test for me. I was selfishly trying to NOT like anyone here so it would be easier for me to leave. Though I am no longer shy (remember, awkward years were from 0-22), sometimes all the social graces I have freeze inside me.

I'm embarrassed to say that on Thursday I was dragging my feet to go across the street to a neighborly dinner, with so many bratty thoughts running through my head:

-"I should have brought something. Maybe I should go buy some wine. And drink it before I go."
-"What if she makes ham? I hate ham."
-"Their house might smell funny. Then I will have to pretend that it smells normal."
-"What if we only talk about Ensure and do crossword puzzles?"

-and worst of all: "What if I actually like them?"

I was trying to come up with any excuse to cancel, and so were the roommates. Since we all had to go, we trudged over right at 6:00.

The side door opened and Mr. Retired says, "Hey, you guys used the servants entrance! Well don't just stand there. Uhh, where's the pizza? We are starving so I hope you've got something to eat with you." I smirked. That's when I knew-- I was gonna to have fun that night, in spite of myself.

This gentlemen with an easy smile walks us upstairs into a beautiful home, saying "I hope you like hot dogs!" It smelled incredible and not like hot dogs. He introduced himself,  "I'm Perry, and this is my wife Judy." She came in from the kitchen and hugged us all. They reminded me of home. He was funny like my Dad. She was cutey like my Mom. I was all of a sudden VERY glad I had come.
(I found this picture on the internet. It's from 2007, but now you too can meet Perry and Judy!)

There was another couple there and I thought they were family until they introduced them as the neighbors who lived just down the street. They were a nice, petite couple and the wife also worked in the hospital with my roommates. Everything seemed normal until she started talking. Nicole and I glanced at each other for just a split second. She sounded like Minnie Mouse on helium. This is not me being mean this is me telling you that she is one of those young girls who thinks its cute to have a fake voice. We couldn't believe our ears and decided to ask as few questions as possible. When I sat down in living room, I said, "I'll bet you're all wondering why I called you here this evening..." They laughed. Judy was bringing everything to the dining room and when they said dinner was ready, we went in and there before us stood Turkey. Stuffing. Sourdough Rolls. Cranberry Jello. THANKSGIVING! There would be no dieting this night.
(It was close to the photo, minus the ham. Cross another fear off my list.)

Those of you who know me well know that I love Thanksgiving. The family. The food. The love. Well, God knew that I needed this Thanksgiving dinner and I felt humbled and grateful, all while fighting back tears. What a stubborn woman I sometimes when God is telling me just to "Go! Have fun!"

The banter at the table from Judy and Perry reminded me SO much of this couple who made their way around the internet recently:


"I just have to ask," I ventured. "How did you two meet?" He was in the Navy when he met her in New Jersey and then it was all over. They have been married 50 years with 2 children, 9 grandchildren, and 5 great-grandchildren. They were spunky and lively and fun. Perry got up to make coffee, and Judy was explaining that their big lovely home was a duplex. You can't tell from the outside. They currently rent the other half out, but they originally built the other side of the duplex for her mother when she was alive. Judy paused and said, "Perry had only one rule with that setup. he asked that she knock before she could come in." From the kitchen he yells out, "It because of all the romance!" Shocked, we all giggled, tried to compose ourselves, and then lost it again. You probably had to be there, but the timing was impeccable. I was taking comedic notes.

We stayed much longer then we intended, but when it was time to leave, the subject of churches came up. I just somehow KNEW they loved the Lord and I asked where they went. They told me they went to a Baptist church but it was non-denominational. *ding* The bells went off in my head for this was just like the church I grew up in. I asked if they sing hymns and they said, "Yes, they sing a mix of new and old." I couldn't wait to go, and I told them they might see there me very soon.

Saturday night I went out with the roommates and their friends. Here's are roommates Nicole and Corrie (center). Nicole owns the house I live in. Corrie is married and lives in Minnesota but is only here for 3 more weeks as she is attending a 5 week Pharmacy school in town. I'm the circle face on the right. They invited a guy "friend" to hang out with us that night and I didn't appreciate the set-up. Too soon, ladies.

Sunday morning, I was anxious to try the new church. I got there *shocker* 5 minutes late, but that allowed me to sneak in the back. If I hated it, I could leave and they wouldn't have to know I was even there. I saw Perry and Judy, but they didn't see me. We sang at least 3 hymns and I felt right at home. The sermon was on inviting people into your world and meeting them in theirs to get to know them, "Invite your neighbors over for dinner." I wanted to raise my hand and say, "Those two-- they did that!" 

After the service, Perry saw me right away and made a beeline to hug me. He was grinning from ear to ear like a kid with a frog in his pocket, and I could practically hear him coming up with something clever to say. He reminds me of Uncle Loyal, the way he always looks up to no good. That's when Judy saw me, and she came running to hug me. I was shocked at their graciousness. Then Judy was off to gather people. I met 2 of her grandkids, one great-grand kid, and the single worship pastor of the church. He was 5'6" and looked 12 and she was delighted with her matchmaking skills. Perry leaned in and said, "You'll be married by the end of the week if you let her keep going." They invited me to lunch with them, but with Perry's warning in my ears, I excused myself this time saying "I'm still full from Thursday."

I left church feeling very much cared for by the Lord through two people who love Him. I don't know how much longer I have in Rapid City, but I know that I have found new friends for all long as they've have me. Next up: inviting THEM over for dinner.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Perry & Judy look like such a cute, nice couple! I'm so glad you found such great Christian friends & a good church as well. Your roommates are very pretty too. Really enjoyed the blog. Thanks for sharing your S Dakota life with us, Tawners.
Love,
Mom
LOVED IT!! It was a very encouraging story..one that God does use His people and two that I really need to start inviting people over to our house :) Thank you for sharing!
Sherri said…
This makes me all teary eyed just hearing about how God is taking care of you, answering so many prayers by making you feel loved, and even providing a place for you to worship that feels like home!!

Popular Posts