The View from the Top
Andy warned that when I moved here my life would slow down. Yeah. Right. I can't stop making lists and creating projects (when I'm not sleeping). I've been swamped in the last few weeks, studying for insurance exams, settling in, and trying to keep Cali world close while giving South Dakota all I've got. I have one more insurance test on January 19th and I started working full time in the office this week. I'm now officially in insurance. It's.... fine. There are parts I really like actually (it helps that people flock to you for insurance here. There are many more perils to be concerned about). The good news is-- my creative mind is coming back so that I can save up the good stuff for you.
One of the projects that I took on this week was a blessing. You all know that I have been praying for a couch so that I could finally have "a place" to relax. Well within the first week I arrived, Andy's sister said that she was giving away a couch and a loveseat... was I interested? Are you kidding? She even wrinkled up her nose that it was a tacky blue but I've seen enough tacky printed couches to know that this blue was on the less offensive side of things. This past Friday night I spent the evening vacuuming, steaming, and shampooing them (Andy's sister Heather is VERY clean. Yet, this is a hide-away couch and I had a bad experience with one once. I wasn't going to leave anything to chance!) Sophie absolutely loves them and they proved very useful for Saturday's Season 1 Modern Family Marathon.
I forgot to finally share my Christmas gift to Andy with you. This is was very first photo I saw of him online over 6 months ago:
When work sent me to Chicago in October, I plotted and planned to take an afternoon to make it to the top of the Sear Tower (now called the Willis Tower, but I refuse to call it that). My co-worker Mayra and I had taken an architectural boat tour of Chicago earlier that morning and had seen the glass cases on the top of the tower from the ground and I wanted to be sick. I prayed-- and took Xanax-- and the story of how we got to the top so fast is nothing short of a miracle. Most people had to wait 1.5 hours to go up. We bought fast passes on sale on Groupon (you could only bypass the line by going online). We bought them at 4:58pm and they became effective at 5:00pm. After only 15 minutes in line, we were sardined into the elevator and took the terrifying trip up 103 flights of stairs. Note the shaky smile.
At the top, the sun was setting and there were a ton of people everywhere. I did take a humbling few minutes to think about the Twin Towers and what the people might have felt that day watching the planes coming their way. Yes, I was being over-dramatic, and no, I won't apologizing for reflecting like I did. Anyway, thanks to Andy's best friend Josh I knew to go into the far right case and I had the photo memorized to try to match his stance. There were a ton of people waiting and watching but by the time I was done with the photoshoot, everyone in line knew the story and was rooting me on.
There is so much that I neglected to show and tell you about Chicago, but it's time to come back to present day. New Years Eve started with dinner at a great Italian restaurant in downtown Rapid City and then we picked up Sophie and headed to Heather and Dustin's where there were waiting with their furkids, Goose and Bailey, to play a pinochle tournament. Sophie and Bailey are new besties.
Andy's sister Heather and the special man in her life, Dustin.
Bailey found me very snuggly. She's a beagle/Boston mix and she slept in my arms almost the whole game. Which means...
Sophie was quiet jealous and sought refuge with Andy.
New Years Day was-- strange. After church, I strangely burst into tears. Poor Andy had not idea what to do and I had no idea what was wrong. He said "it's ok, you can just cry," but I upset that there was no reason to be upset. It was all very odd. We continued with our plans and drove 45 minutes to Deadwood to eat and I wanted to show Andy how to play backjack. As we were pulling into town, I said, "I am so thirsty." After another block I said, "Oh no." "What??" "You need to pull over!"
I was sick right by the dumspters, mortified that people who saw me would think that I was hungover and at the same time elated that I now knew why the weird tears appeared. Andy got me water and I shakily walked to lunch with him (the cold air felt good for once). We ate at Kevin Costner's Bar and Grill place in Deadwood. It was pretty cool, but the food was greasy. No matter. I ate what I could knowing that it was a sacrificial meal anyway. You're welcome for the visual.
The next 2 hours were spent at the blackjack table and we had a great time. Andy learned the secret to Blackjack-- it's not about gambling or winning or anything like that- it's trying to break even while surrounded by incredible entertainment. We had some doosey's at our table. The 2 drunk cowboys that asked for their "we're over 21" stamp to be put on their foreheads we won't soon forget. They were sloppy and stinky but would yell things like "Hot shower!" when they had a good hand. Or "that's hotter than donut grease right there." I told A that I wanted to mess with them so much more but I was focused on making sure there was a free line to the bathroom-- just in case.We came home after I broke even, and ended up losing $10 between the 2 of us. For the show we received that afternoon, we decided that was cheaper than a movie :)
Yesterday, Andy had off so he *graciously* volunteered to help me and my 3 co-workers paint the interior of my new state farm office (nope, I didn't have a choice like he did). However, I got to choose the paint color and decided that I might not know insurance, but I definitely know how to paint. It looks really good-- you almost don't notice the burgundy carpet anymore.
I started full time in the office today. This full-time working thing is really gonna cramp my style...




Comments
2. That's a GREAT photo of you in Chicago. Perfect light, good job!
Enjoy all these new experiences!
with love, Auntie
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.