Conversations With Unkie
I had the absolute privilege of getting to be in the car
with Uncle Steve for the 20+ hours in 2 days that it took to get here from
South Dakota. In between podcasts of Armstrong and Getty, I got to hear stories and
receive sage advice on everything from finances and family to remodeling,
traveling, and dating (how did I know that would come up?). When Uncle talks, you
listen. That’s the thing about LaBarbera men: they can be serious and firm and
intimidating, and just as effortlessly they can joke and laugh with the surrounding
crowd. My respect for the men in my life is through the roof.
The biggest things that stuck out in my mind was when I asked, "Can you believe this weather? How come it's been so mild?" He said, "I know why. It was so you could go and so you could come home." How special to make a girl feel like the weather revolves around her!
The biggest things that stuck out in my mind was when I asked, "Can you believe this weather? How come it's been so mild?" He said, "I know why. It was so you could go and so you could come home." How special to make a girl feel like the weather revolves around her!
I’ll never forget this trip with Unkie. We plotted about how to finally beat my Dad at
Trivial Pursuit this next Christmas. We played, “Name that Carcass” whenever we
saw carnage on the road, happened upon the windiest place in the world (Muddy Gap,
Wyoming), out ran a storm, and saw at endless miles of personal notes written with stones on the
salt flats in Utah. When we stopped for night in Wendover, NV, he went to a
buffet at a casino and ended up winning on one of the slot machines there. Who
gets that lucky?
A VERY Happy 60th Birthday to one of the best guys
I know. Turns out you aren’t the only lucky one—we are all so very blessed to
have you in our lives. Here’s to the next road trip! (to go get Mallory? It’s her
turn!)

Comments
One way ticket to Rapid City; over priced.
Two nights in hotels; priced right.
20 hours of quality time in a car traveling with one of my favorite nieces; PRICELESS !!
Love you Tawny
FU
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.