An Open Letter to the Writers of The Office: The Top 7 Ways You Are Ruining the Show
I have been talking about writing this blog for 2 months,
but now I’ve been propelled into action. This blog is in response to this Huffington Post article written by Toni Nagy because I vehemently disagree with her.
I watch an episode of The Office every night before I fall
asleep. EVERY night. I get it through
either the Hulu or the Netflix app on my phone. I have season’s 1-6 practically memorized, and
catch a few of my favorites on Season 7 leading up to Michael departure. I know
my favorites by how many times I push “play” on a particular episode. After
Michael left, there are only a handfuls of episodes that I have seen more than
one time. I haved loved, you, the writers of the show for getting it right so many
times, making my laugh, cry, or cheer. That being said, here are the top
7 reasons my interest has waned.
7. Will Ferrall and guy humor: UGH. The *few* times I have found
Will Farrell funny is when those around him are catapulting him to laugh-worthy. He’s
actually not funny on his own. 538,492 men just threw rotten tomatoes at me for
saying such a thing, but that is what I mean. Men find him hilarious in a way that I don’t understand (and
probably don’t want to). His appearance on The Office was one of “I am,
therefore I am funny.” Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. I’ve been nervous about writing decisions ever
since he was cast, and it turns out my worry was not in vain.
6. Robert California: The worst long-term casting decisions
you’ve ever made. I’ve been shocked how much screen time he’s received; how
boring and bland he is, not adding anything but taking away all interest. Some
people may have had a boss like California, but when he blathers on and the
cast give looks of confusion to the camera, they are not acting. They are
genuinely confused as to why the H he is on the show.
5. Losing the formula: Go back to Season 1, episode 1 and
count the times there were awkward pauses and long silences in between the
dialogue or actions. The show back then wasn’t afraid of uncomfortable dead air
because that’s what it is like in real offices. Relating to the show has been
compromised.
4. Erin: Speaking of formula, the reason the show worked is
because Michael was the moron who didn’t know he was a moron and everyone else
around him also didn’t know they had the quirks they did. Dwight was and is
fully comfortable being the geekiest guy this side of the beet farm. Erin
changes all the rules. Erin is someone that would never be hired for the task
she is doing. She is dingy and dumb to a fault, without social OR office
skills. She’s so crazy that she’s not relatable. Ah, there is that concept
again. It important when it comes to a viewing audience.
3. Andy and Erin, Erin and Gabe, Andy and Erin again: When Andy and Erin finally went on a date in Season 6, there was not much that showed the audience that they belonged together. He was really cute towards her (12 drummers drumming!), but she was
(and is) a headcase. We like Andy, we want him to be adored as well, but it wasn’t
really bothersome when Erin left went for Gabe. Now, I get why Gabe is present-
there are sticks like him in offices everywhere. However, there should not
be any story lines around him. He should just hilariously dress as Gaga, or
stand there and look pasty. He is funny as-is; no need to propel him to the
spotlight. But the relationship and subsequent public break-up with Erin was
like watching someone pouring baking soda into bleach - you were hoping for a big
reaction but all you got was lumpy bleach. Back to Andy, he has struggled with
the top position since he received it after Michael left. He’s a funny guy, but
he’s not in control of any of his staff (I’ll counter that with saying that Michael
was in control because he was so out-of-control). Then Andy suddenly has a
girlfriend and they are 30 dates in and he wants to propose? It’s all so… unbelievable.
But! It helped fit into the story line where once again we can turn the jealous
secretary into the romance to root for. The story is created to fit the
characters, instead of the other way around and as a viewer it makes me uncomfortable to see it all working so hard.
2. Jim and Pam: The night that Jim pulled Pam aside on Casino
Night was the same night, hours prior, one of my best guys friends pulled me
aside to tell me that he had feelings I had no idea were present. In contrast
to J&P, I reciprocated his feelings that evening and for almost a year after that. Though we didn’t make it to “happily
ever after” I still respect him tremendously. As I sat watching Casino Night,
tears streamed down my cheeks and I identified with both Jim and Pam in that
scenario. Once a quaint and
heartbreaking love story, it was inevitable the once they got together that they
no longer be the icons of inner-office romance. However, what made them great individually was their ability to prank, tease, and out-cool the rest of their
co-workers. It all started with their wedding, which was sloppy seconds to the very popular youtube video. I am still baffled at that decision. You, Writers, are to set the standard, not lower yourselves to "borrowing" from real life. Although the Niagara Falls marriage
twist was a great one, it paled by the fact that the ceremony was
so…so... done before. Once married, they turned inward. They’re awkward and
dorky and I cringed when I watched them approach Timothy Olyphant to ask why he
didn’t ask Pam out again. Not cool. Even though they are parents now, I don’t
think we have to get the tired parental leftovers of each of them—mostly Pam.
They could still be the hip duo the rest of the office admires through their
underhanded control of the way the office flows. As it looks now, they are out
and Andy and Erin are in. Such as they are.
1. Too many field trips: It was the episode of the
Christening where I realized that the out-of-office Office had gone too far.
And since then, there has been garden parties, a visit to Gettysburg, and a
party at Robert California’s mansion, now on to Tallahassee-- just to name
a few. I’d like to see the Office back within the walls of the crazy 40 hours a
week to which most of us are confined with our co-workers. There is no shortage
of material that I could come up with without having to travel anywhere.
To be fair, I should tell you that you did do something
right. It was clever to have the twist with Angela’s baby-- I'm please that Dwight and Angela are still connected, and for good.
I'll continue to watch-- with one eye open-- hoping that you'll get back on track sooner rather than later. If not, there is always Community anxious to take your comedic place (returning March 15th!).

Comments
HI-LARIOUS!
My best friend and I agree that it'd be hilarious if they brought Ted McGinley in just before the series finale or if they'd end the series with Dwight jumping over a shark (or, even better, over Ted McGinley)--and ending it when Dwight is halfway through the jump.
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.