Working and Working Out

Chilis... Will be be working there?
The short answer is probably not. When I had the final interview with the Regional Manager, I started listing off everything that I was involved in and it sounded verrrry overwhelming to my ears. I think it did to his as well. When I called back, he was on vacation, and when I called back the next time, the manager they told me to ask for was on vacation. In the meantime, I started to assess my life and decided that since I didn't live close to Chilis yet and my schedule was filling up quickly, maybe I should look for a catering situation instead. Work 3 or 4 times a month, in a different venue every time sounds like the perfect summer job. So, I am looking for just that situation now.

How are things?
I have a rule that I have been trying live by since moving home. As much as I can, reserve weeknights for working, working out, or bible study. This is after decades of watching my folks have a routine that I considered boring... I now consider it effective. You read this correctly: my parents were right. Turns out that I am a creature of habit just like they are *swallows pride*  On top of that, I recharge alone and so planning time for myself is absolutely necessary. Now this whole weeknight things is not a hard and fast rule so please don't hold it against me. Sometimes I meet with a friend for dinner after work because she commutes an hour in for work and it makes sense to meet up during the week. I have to profess my unending guilt now, at this moment, that I simply can't so everything that I want to do. The plight of the independent single woman is not always  fully understood to others. It's just me: money, time, energy. I have no one to hide under or give my priorities to. I think my diets and workouts are very fair "me" times because I don't have those familial ties... yet. The guilt I have by making some decisions are not others can't be explained sometimes, but I try so hard to be very fair. Please don't let it hurt you if I have to say no to something. Cousin Lesley Miller recently wrote a blog that quoted a blog that said instead of saying that you are busy or don't have the money, you should instead say "you aren't a priority" instead. Maybe I read it wrong, but no way would I ever say this. If I am busy, I hope that you trust me enough to know my schedule and limitations. I'm living fully in whatever moment I am in and in that way, I will be fair to everyone.

Are you still dieting?
Yes, I am on day 79 of the diet (as long as there is no candy corn in the house!) and I've increased my work outs to 5-6 times a week. More on that later.

I downloaded my camera pics: Please follow me down photo lane for more stories:

Here's my South Dakota insurance office. Step inside to be transported back to 1960.

Meet Noah, a man I dated a couple times before returning home. He worked for the hospital and was more than sweet...

....And he reminded me completely of Redding Ryan (boyfriend of '08) except for the dirty clothes and the emotional imbalance.

Superbowl Sunday, chicky was killing me in this purple top and red ruffle bottoms.

Tommy's 3rd birthday was Dinosaur Train theme. I have never liked playing dinosaurs so much in my life.

He looked like such a big boy-- and Maura wanted everything he got.

The 5K- Modesto Marathon
It was her first 5k, and Mallory dragged me to this thing. I mean d-r-a-g-g-e-d. It was a rainy St. Patrick's Day weekend and I tried to make her quit in the days leading up to it. She was not having it. I even drank too much the night before the race (to sabotage the race of course) and texted her, "I want to sleep in, go without me." She threatened me within an inch of my life, ergo, I woke at 5:30 and got ready. And I am so glad I went because we had an absolute blast. Our friend Melissa join us and our enthusiasm could not be contained. Modesto really did this event right, and they planned everything perfectly. Kudos!

We did it! We finished in under an hour and I wanted to weep at the finish line. I am so proud of my determined sister! I'll let her tell you how much she is working out (if you are her friend on FB you can't miss it), but let me just tell you that you won't recognize this girl by the reunion in November. She's been my inspiration and this time next year, she'll be running circles around me!

This past Friday night, Jen Sasser got married to her Prince Charming (he goes by 'Mike"). It was at a beautiful B&B in Sonora and their joy lit up the room. Congratulations... you made it!

This dress could have been drab gray and I would have worn it... the shape was incredible. It was from Victoria's closet and I just had to wear it to the wedding-- because it fit. This is my latest "progress" photo.

This past Saturday night I went with a group of girls to Victoria's Bikini Competition in Sacramento and I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time. BTW all the food on the table is diet, but I opted for cheese in mine... it's my one weakness!

Victoria is in the blue in the middle. You can see now why she owns a fitness studio.

V's spray tan next to Melissa's arm. It was unreal.

ZUMBA
ZUMBA is going really well actually and I have been loving my classes. This week and next I picked up another class to teach so it's been a good side job for me. Plus, a lot of my friends come to class so it's almost the most social hour that I get every week. Thank you to all of you who come and make it fun to workout.

Yesterday I was in the kitchen all day cooking my food for the week. Lean meat, boiled and baked brussel sprouts, and blanched and roasted almonds. I don't even know who I am anymore.

Last week I entered a Photoshop contest for my favorite morning radio hosts. I placed in the top 20 and was just fine with that.
"Frodo and Sam in 20 years."

Lastly, the next 3 photos are why I am here. Maura and Tommy playing quite cute together for me yesterday morning before church. I look at these and flash back to Mick and I around that age. I remember more than you'd think!





Comments

Anonymous said…
So THAT'S what you've been doing all this time! Let's hear a "shout out" for boring routines!! Amazing the things that our kids learn from us. So glad Dad & I get to see glimpses of you every now & then since you've been home but it gives us joy that you are doing well & at peace.
Love you so much,
Your Mama
Carrie Peeples said…
If you are coming to the reunion in November and teach zumba, I'm seeing a class that weekend!!
Anonymous said…
I LOVE that idea Carrie Jean!! Your mom wants to do a Friesen Family 5k as well- I say we workout then hit the spa?? =)

Love the pictures of our babies- too cute!!

~Mal
Lauren Tapia said…
I was robbed from the top 20!
Lesley said…
I'm catching up on your goings ons. First, I have to just say... You and Mallory are seriously motivating me (and everyone!) to set goals and stick to them. Both of you look beautiful.

Second, regardless of being single or married or kids/no kids, I never think you should feel guilty for "me time." Before having Anna I felt like I said YES to a lot more because the expectation was that we didn't have kids, so we had more time. I got completely over booked and burnt out. Not good.

Third, the whole priorities thing. It's not "You aren't a priority" but "it's not a priority." Hopefully I didn't totally screw you up on that one. :) And, I think for me, this whole idea has encouraged me to be honest about why we can't do something. It means telling myself "this sounds really fun but is it a priority compared to... xyz" and then telling the person honestly why it's not a priority right now. Instead of making up an excuse, or giving an excuse that I don't feel like someone will argue with (i.e. saying "We don't have the money" if that's not really the reason) I try to give a short but honest explanation. "We can't attend that event because we've been out the last three nights. If we don't have a night at home both of us get very worn out and unpleasant. Can we plan something now for next month so that I can make it a priority?"

I'm still practicing this, and it's honestly not easy. I tried it the other day and the person didn't want to take no for an answer. Sigh.

Finally- Writing! You can do it! Baby steps! You're good at this Tawny. Write your little heart out.

Popular Posts