For Tyler Perry: Why Didn't I Get Married
It's *kinda* embarrassing to admit that last week I fell off the radar because I found out that Tyler Perry was having a talent contest and I wanted to enter. The premise was to videotape yourself doing "something that you do best," and the winner gets a walk-on role to one of his up-coming movies. My greatest talent is not singing, rapping, or talking about myself for the allotted 3 minutes, so I decided to write. However, writing doesn't translate very well to youtube, so I decided that I needed to write and perform my very first spoken word poem. Easier said than done.
Tyler Perry YouTube Contest
My inspiration for the piece were a myriad of these incredible spoken word professionals. I figured that if I was going for the win, then I needed to learn from the best. I didn't just want to be good, I wanted to be great.
Using my creativity, I wondered 'what would get Mr. Perry's attention?' when it struck me to do a response to one of his works. One of my favorites is the movie Why Did I Get Married? I didn't have to contemplate for long before the Poem Why Didn't I Get Married? flowed from my fingertips onto the keyboard. I was happy with the result: I embellished for theatrics, but the main point was valid (I need to say this because I still highly respect this person, even if the "us together" part didn't work).
I taped and submitted it! Check the blog after this one for the result.
Tyler Perry YouTube Contest
My inspiration for the piece were a myriad of these incredible spoken word professionals. I figured that if I was going for the win, then I needed to learn from the best. I didn't just want to be good, I wanted to be great.
Using my creativity, I wondered 'what would get Mr. Perry's attention?' when it struck me to do a response to one of his works. One of my favorites is the movie Why Did I Get Married? I didn't have to contemplate for long before the Poem Why Didn't I Get Married? flowed from my fingertips onto the keyboard. I was happy with the result: I embellished for theatrics, but the main point was valid (I need to say this because I still highly respect this person, even if the "us together" part didn't work).
I taped and submitted it! Check the blog after this one for the result.

Comments
It is awesome T. Full of emotion and real. You have been given an amazing gift. Your voice. Spoken, sung, written. Amazing. Share it with Tyler Perry T. They will hear the words, not your barely noticeable lisp. That only gives it character anyway. You are beautiful inside and out. They're gonna love you.
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.