Home
There is something that squeezes my heart when I think of the word "home." Growing up my Mom had a vinyl record called Home for Christmas, and I remember listening to it as a child over and over. The story went that a couple thought their children weren't going to make it for the holidays, but in the end of course they surprised them by showing up. Then they all sang, "Home for Christmas, really home for Christmas." That album mocked me this past year, but in the proverbial war between Tawny's expectation and reality, this past holiday season was really good for me. Still I look forward to my chance to be with family at Christmas this year.
In my 20's I dated a man consistently-- consistently on again, off again. Anyway, every time I came back to him I'd say, "I don't know why I keep coming back, but you seem to be my home base." Before I could even voice how I felt about him, I was able to recognize feeling comfortable and accepted around him. I pray for the chance to feel that way about somebody again.
Now, gymnasts, they are a different story. They only get one chance.
On Friday, I
attended a funeral service for my friend's Dad. He was part of a
quartet at church and the remaining 3 men of the group were there to
sing at the memorial.They sang a gospel song about going home to Jesus,
and once again my heart turned over, longing for heaven and the ultimate
family reunion that will happen there. God gives unending chances to follow after Him until the time we get to go Home.
When I decided to move back to my condo in June, I had no idea I would be so relieved. This was my 2nd chance. Instead of simply "moving back," I decided to paint it and show my refreshed life in living color. I was going to go with taupe, when a well-timed viewing of the SATC Movie reminded me that Carrie Bradshaw went bold, fun, and classy when she moved back to the home she'd just left. Being a perfectionist and hard to please, choosing an entire house palette was not going to be an easy task.
I learned so much in the last month about how to go about it. It finally worked to choose one paint color, apply it, then choose the rest AFTER the color was already on the walls. Choosing a color I liked was important too, and not just one that I thought would work with my existing finishes. There is so much that design can do to tie things together and the walls end up being the accent, not the focal point.
Even with the taupe on the walls, you can see me sneaking in a few blues and greens, trying to get the courage to actually choose one.
I started by choosing colors for the kitchen, which was a bad idea. It was bad because I had to match the black granite and orangey-tinted wood cabinets and there weren't many colors I could choose that wouldn't look drab or annoy me.
My original plan was to match my dishes. I changed my mind after the jade was too-- too matchy- on the walls.
Original kitchen:
After. I used flat paint, I know, it's a kitchen faux pas, but I did it on purpose. I read that a sheen is good for cleaning kids fingerprints or grease from cooking. Well, I don't have kids or cook anything so I figured I was safe until the next paint job.
My kitchen practically glows in the dark. At night I think that the aliens have come for me. But it is a nice green for the space and makes me happy. Changing the lightblub will help. I've added a dark rug and will get something black for above the sink and it'll be great. I joke that the green helps me eat less but I think it's actually true. Cathy (my Redding, green-hating friend) I thought of you the entire time I was painting. Hope you'll still visit me after seeing this...
I call the finished product Tiffany Green. The curtains I'll be making will be from the coral fabric on the right. These couches will work for now (thanks to Heather in South Dakota) and I found the screen at a thrift shop this weekend. I might make that a paint project as well, or replace the white with a darker fabric. Something else to DIY. Just wait until I have my bookshelf, buffet, and wall art-- this room is gonna transform from a bright sparse room to chic retro-contemporary haven. I just made that up *enjoy the irony*.
If' you're wondering how I did the transition from Picnic Green to Cooled Blue (both from Sherwin Williams), this was where I the most conflicted. The answer to finishing this colorful theme meant that I needed to add pure white on a few walls so the eye could rest. I'm like the finished product, but I hated painting white. Boooooring.
My bedroom is my favorite favorite. Remember the blah tan with Vanna Sophie.
This color is called "Winter Gates" by Benjamin Moore. I'll never use their paint again-- it smelled awful and had a strange consistency, but this color is like a warm greige hug. In some lights it's charcoal gray, in some it's taupe, and sometimes it has a slight purple hue, which just happened to work with my decor. I just love it. Sophie was glad to oblige again.
I've left my hallway, laundry room, and bathroom unfinished while I stew in these colors for awhile. I loved painting, but I need a break before I break my back. Plus, when the mood strikes to paint again, I have a ton of sample cans to choose from...
This girl who's hard to satisfy and hates change (stop laughing), has truly learned the meaning of "it's just paint," I feel bold and brave and fun and happy.
Welcome to my home.


Comments
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.