When I Make Plans, God Laughs

It's really hard for me to write and not talk about what is the biggest thing going on in my life at that moment. Brad has been an amazing addition to my world and for those who think you've been shafted because I rarely blog about our story, well, you'll just have to wait for the book to come out :) Meeting Brad has been a life-changer and his unyielding support and enthusiasm has gotten me through some pretty tough moments.

The gray cloud that has hung over me for well over a year now is my finances. I took a part-time contract position at the District last February and you can imagine how that has been on my already-squeezed budget. I would hear conversations around me about people spending $40 on a new shirt and I would cringe because that was my bi-weekly food budget. One time I heard "It's only $10-- you should get it" when I just had to make $10 last an entire week before payday. A couple of times I couldn't make it and I had to ask my parents for an "advance"-- and thank goodness they didn't charge any interest. You'll never know unless you've been there the dark voice that consistently whispers, "You are no good at life. Let other people do it because clearly you aren't cut out for it." It's been hard and humbling and I never want to forget the lessons I am learning about how money does not define character. 

Starting the clock business was not as supplemental as one might think, as any profits go back into the business to get it off the ground. I love being able to do the clocks on my off time and it distracts me from other issues plaguing me. I'm selling about one a week at the moment and it's just gaining momentum to be able to make a real go at it. But in the meantime, I've been avidly searching for full-time employment. Sometimes I would get an interview and sometimes I wouldn't, but I hit wall after wall. And then the good news: the position that I was working at was going to 80% with benefits but I had to apply and go through the process with everyone else. My interview was last Tuesday. And on Wednesday I had an interview at UC Davis for a Communication Analyst position. I felt like I was dating 2 guys at once-- it was one of the hardest weeks emotionally and mentally for me. On Thursday I was offered my current job and on Friday I was offered the position at UC Davis.

You all know what I am going to say because you would do the same: I took the job at UC Davis.

I had planned to stay in my condo for at least a year. God knew that. Didn't He want me to put down roots? He must have something else in mind because of the ways the doors opened. I didn't find this job--it found me. Goodness, even the Target is beautiful in Davis. 

I have a job. A real job. An I-get-to-fill-up-my-gas-tank-all-the-way type of job. I start on the 18th. That gives me 2 weeks from today to find a place to live, pack, finish 3 clocks, wrap-up my work at the District, move, rent out my condo, and be refreshed enough to dive into a full-time job. Oh great, my blood pressure just rose. One day at a time. Sophie is really excited for this new adventure:


I'm really hoping that somebody knows someone in Davis, Woodland, Dixon, area who is looking to rent out a room to me and my adorable and docile? dog (ahem, Lesley Miller!)

There will be no tears or goodbye parties-- I'm still close! 

*insert "Tawny is moving again" jokes here.*

Comments

Exciting!!! So happy for you!

Popular Posts