What a Difference 5 Minutes Can Make

I've been thinking recently of things I almost missed out on had I not followed through for a couple minutes out of my day.

Back in November, I almost missed out on Brad. Had he waited one more hour to write me; had I decided not to set him up with a friend, he would probably have been lost to me forever. Of course, I look back and see a plan that Someone had worked out for good, but that didn't stop me from saying "phew."

In March, as Mom and I followed through on a Craigslist ad in Davis as a potential place to live, I was too scared to pull down the private road. My house is not on the best side of town-- the house next to the road to turn down is literally made up of a patchwork of cement and plywood. I was scared but Mom said "We are here, let's just see it." And I love where I live, any my landlords are absolutely precious to me. Our contract was a handshake of faith-- and my 440 square feet hug me and Sophie perfectly.

This past December, I saw a clock that I loved and set to make myself one. Brad saw it and dreamed for me bigger than I could for myself. I made my Etsy site on a whim while I sat in the cell phone lot at SFO waiting to meet Brad in person for the first time. I've made 22 since and I have an order for 16 clocks in the next couple of months for a New Years Eve wedding (1 big, 15 centerpieces).

It's not fair: I love my jobs. I work very very hard; one job is 8-5 in an office 5 minutes from my house, the other job I work from home. Both are challenging and extremely rewarding. In fact, I think I came up with an invention that supports my clocking business (Unkie, we have work to do!).

The lesson for me is that we can't avoid God's will for us. One moment can change everything. Enjoy the good while it's here. Suffer the pain when it's here. And persevere.




33. I turned 33. I don't know how it happened, it just snuck up on me. It didn't scare me-- I think I've having way too much fun in my 30's to ever think about going back. My coworkers surprised me a day early because we had a meeting offsite on Thursday. It was so much fun.

Brad flew in on Thursday, and it was none too soon. Nothing was going right that day, including seeing him. My phone ran out of battery early in the morning so I couldn't communicate with him. Brad was all set to surprise me at work with flowers, and when I arrived back from Oakland, I headed home to surprise him and Sophie. He wasn't there. I charged up my phone enough to text him and he was at Target next to work. I went back to work; my disappointment was palpable. When Brad finally showed up at the office, they told him pack me up and take me out. It was really sweet. We just got home when we heard and an Edible Arrangements arrived at work and Brad went back to pick it up. That was our birthday dinner (thanks Shawna!) along with homemade BLT's because we knew we were leaving the next day for Tahoe and it wouldn't keep.

Friday morning was very early-- I had to be at the hospital at 6am for the epidural. He is going to hate me for posting this photo, but he was right there with me every step of the way (except for the needle part). My heart melted when he helped me put my shoes back on in recovery and I asked "Are you Prince Charming?" and he said, "It fits so I know I've found my Cinderella." My back almost immediately felt better and the deep pain has almost fully gone away. I'm one good massage away from getting over this insomnia (my theory is that my back has been so tight around the injury that now that the inflammation has gone down, my back muscles are spasming. I know, cue violins).

Once in Tahoe, it was time to really celebrate! There were so many reasons; the day prior I was 32 going on 80. After the procedure, I was back to my 30's again and felt so young for the first time in a loooooong time. It's hard to explain the psychological toll chronic pain has on a person.

Brad asked me to meet him at the lobby bar because it was a free Wine Tasting event, and it reminded me of a scene from Modern family so I told him we needed nicknames. That night we were 80's rock groupies Bruno and Natasha. We met new friends from Elk Grove in the lounge and I found them instantly delightful. Before the night was over we exchanged numbers and found out they were believers! I still smile at the blessings that found us.

The next day we had the hotel pool to ourselves! I brought my book and decided that this was the life.

However, we managed to snap this photo before I called the peaceful afternoon on account of a wasp that kept hovering around me.

He then talked me in a Gondola ride up to Heavenly Valley Resort. We stopped for picnic items and then I stared up the hill for awhile before deciding that I was ok with the ride.

Alright, breathe. You can handle this.

Wait, we are going up this hill??? I would like to reconsider, please.

I was really hungry so I was happy that lunchtime was held hostage until I reached the observation deck.

We had a really nice spread. And we managed to snap this photo before a wasp started hovering over me again. Brad kept shooing it away but it kept coming after what was in my hands. I was so over those flying stingers at this point!

It was a smoky, hazy day, but the view was gorgeous (Lauren, I'll bet this photo won't make any covers any time soon...)

Hazy hills.

We call this "Tahoe Preppy" (No, we didn't plan/coordinate our outfits beforehand, but laughed when we kept dressing alike.) On this night, we were Bradford and Heidi and ate right on the water at a restaurants called "Riva's."

Sunday, I had to do it: I had been thinking about it all weekend and after reading that Harvey's had a poker room with only $3/$6 poker, I wanted to try so badly. Brad was supportive and he talked his way into the pool while I spent 1.5 hours trying my Texas Holdem luck (in the non smoking poker room, which was good because I just hated the casino smoke!). I felt judgement from the older men at the table, that is, until I won the 2nd hand. When I took the 6th hand, I was up $35 and decided to call it. I mean, I was here with my man and I was missing him something awful. It was time to go to the lake and get some sun. It as a gorgeous afternoon and a nice cap to our trip.


Dinner (pizza) back in Davis was on me. After all, I had my poker winnings burning a hole in my wallet...

If this is 33, then getting older rocks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So glad you had such a great time at Tahoe with your man. Even MORE glad you don't have the constant pain you were experiencing for way too long.
Love you,
Mom
Anonymous said…
Ready to get to work...Unkie
I'm glad I stopped by. So sweet..Prince Charming and Cinderella..I think I might melt! *sigh*

Popular Posts