Saturday, Part 1: The Falls at Dunsmuir

























Ryan and I took a trip to Dunsmuir, which is about 45 miles North of Redding. It was a quick turn around trip, but oh-so worth the time. Not knowing what to expect, I packed lunch for us and we brought Ryan's 2 dogs along. We parked and walked a mile down railroad tracks in order to get to the destination. During our walk, there was a high fence to one side of us and Ryan said, "Oh look. Jurassic Park." That cracked me up (photo #1). The dogs were both part basset hound, and would snoop around all over, but pretty soon we discovered them following me on the smooth part of the tracks. I slyly took this photo while walking because it gave me endless delight! (photo #2). While we were on the tracks, we had about 3 trains pass us. We had to be sure to hear them in time to coral the dogs and hover off to the side. The idea of it was more scary than reality, but the first time it happened I was looking away while taking the photo of the passing train (photo #3). The sight that greeted us at the end of the trail was so totally worth it! (photo #4). Meet Ryan... so much for secrets! (photo #5). A little further down the tracks, there is this water hole randomly constructed out of the side of a hill, hidden from view from passerbys. It contains sulfur, but tastes just like Calastoga water. (photo #6). Ryan had heard that Dunsmuir used to be a major train stop at the turn of the century, and he thinks this was part of it. We had a blast and the weather was perfect! I almost have a tan now...

Editor's Note: I do remember that I said that I would not talk about a guy on this blog unless it was serious, and cousin Alysun also pointed that out. Well, because of living so far away from everyone, I would say that I have to revise that statement. I want to be able to talk about our dating trips and excursions have you all along for the ride, since its the most exciting thing happening in Redding these days. With this said, I will let you know when it's serious. Hope you enjoy the stories!

Comments

Aly sun said…
Tawny, you always amaze me. How in the world do you manage to look so good while hiking?

And it looks like you found one of the few tall men left in the world. Good for you.

Great pictures.
Shawna said…
Okay, WHERE ARE THE DOG pictures? You know I have to judge a man by his dog(s)! I see the leash on the ground, did you have them take the picture of you? Thanks for sharing your trivial/flippant/lighweight/funny (all the antonyms of serious) boy story! SO happy to be a part of your world! What a fun trip and I am glad to see you are getting out of the books while you can.
Shawna said…
Wait, I see the dogs now. I don't know why I missed them before. I guess the photo just takes your eye down the track. Interesting shot by the way!
Tawny said…
Shawna, I added the photo of the dogs a day after the original post :)

Popular Posts