Suuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrprise!!!!

So, I couldn't just let Mallory have a birthday party without me. After writing the blog yesterday, I decided that I was going to crash her friend party in Sacramento, where I knew she chose "The Melting Pot" as her restaurant de celebration. It was taking a chance-- first of all that I would be welcomed at her party, and secondly I had nowhere to stay after the dinner was over. Yet, I packed an overnight bag anyway, with the hopes that a couch and a roof were in my future...

Well, even though Mom knew about the surprise before it happened, it was still a success! Mallory was totally shocked to see me there (and kept telling me so the entire night). One of her friends ended up not coming so the number of the reservation was perfect-- it was meant to be. We laughed so hard the entire night and I was thrilled to be a part. Fondue = FUNdue!

Birthday Girl! Pink comes standard, but feathers are optional.


Sorry, Mallory, but the only thing I got you was me. I should have wrapped it better.

This was an attempt to try and capture our entire table without having to ask the waiter to take it for us... but we look a little "special" instead.


Turns out we needed our waiter's help for a decent photo.
Aaron (Mandi's boyfriend), Mandi, Alana, and Aaron's friend Jason.



I found a place to crash that night. Everyone was staying at Aaron's house in Yuba City, so it was back on the freeway after dinner. We got to his house after midnight, and enjoyed the firepit in his backyward for awhile. Around 2 we all went to sleep anywhere we could find it, and the morning came too early. We were up by 8 and I left for Redding around 9:30 (after hitting Starbucks, of course). I was told that the best way to get home was the 20 West and that would take me to I-5 north.


Sounded easy enough:



But what I got was lost. Super lost. Uber lost. It was nice for the first hour because I was listening to my book on CD and enjoying the drive. When I never hit I-5, I panicked. Gas was running low, there was no sign of civilization, and I had no cell service. But what I did have was a charcoal gray Toyota 4 Runner in front of me that I KNEW was in the same postition as me: lost. I stared at the back of this car my entire trip as if it were my life saver. I even giggled because I pictured them as angels behind the wheel, leading me to where I needed to go.



(This picture is deceiving because I took it at the end of our journey, when there was life and other people around us).


At one point, just when I received cell service and called Mallory over and over until someone picked up the phone, the 4 Runner pulled over a the driver (a lady with bright red hair and pink glasses) got out and flagged me down. Relieved, I rolled down my window and asked if she was looking for the 5. She said that she wanted the 20 to Mendecino (embarassingly, I had NO idea where Mendencino was)... but then she said the magic words. I saw her lips move, as in slow motion. "M-A-P." I jumped out of my car and went to hers. Her husband was in the passenger seat and she started speaking to him in a foreign language. German! Because of my good friend Helga, I would know it anywhere. We checked out the map and when I showed them where we were, we couldn't believe it. We were almost to Chico, which was great news for me, but not for them.


We decided to head into Chico and then find the I-5 from there, so I once again followed my German angels. About 20 minutes later, there was a heavenly oasis appearing in the form of a gas station. We both pulled in and chatted a bit more about their trip while filling up. They flew into New York, stayed for 4 days, then flew to LA where they rented a car and are driving most of CA on their way back down to LA. I can imagine that they never intended on hitting the uncharted territory of Butte County in that journey, but when life hands you lemons... Once at the gas station, we got good news. We were on Highway 32 and about 15 miles away from the 5.


I could have left them at that point, but I said, "I'll follow you. I'm good at that." They smiled. Once we got to the 5, and I honked at them goodbye while I went north and they went south, I got sad. I was actually upset to have to leave my new-stranger-german-angels, but I breathed a prayer for their upcoming trip.


Here is how our trip ended up:



This is my German friends' original destination. I did not have it bad at all. They, on the other hand, had a long day of driving ahead of them.


I slept most of the afternoon upon returning home. What a cool weekend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Soooo glad I didn't know about your trip home unitl AFTER it was over!! What an adventure. Sure glad you could be part of Mall's celebration.

Love,
Mom
Shawna said…
Tawny, If I had a sister I imagine her being just like you. Reading about your adventures with Mal make me want that for Madison. So when I tell Rick I want another one, I will blame you kay?

Now next year when your sister has a party and doesn't even TELL you where it is, take the hint! HA

Hmmm, birthday gift mental note for Tawny: "Global Positioning System"!
Anonymous said…
I really wish you had taken the picture of my face when I walked in and saw you...and that I had gotten a picture of you and your favorite hostess =) ~Mal
Aly sun said…
Funny, funny story. So glad you had some German angels. I think the farming country in that area would be quite a shock to tourists. "Why do people come here?"

I once met some angels in Austria who pointed the way to an obscure castle/conference center that I couldn't find. They were from the US and I recognized the travel book they were carrying around. Anyone who carries a Rick Steves book around Austria has to be an angel.
mary said…
Love your blog too! I just found your comment on our babyheff.com blog, glad you are a fan! Isn't "Glamping" the best word ever :)

mary
Anna said…
I am a friend of Lesley Miller's and have been periodically reading your blog for a while now, but I am compelled to finally comment here. I, too, amd TERRIBLE with directions and spend the majority of my time in the car feeling like blindfolded kid who's just been spun around and sent stumbling to find the pinata. I'm glad to know that at least I'm not alone! Also glad that you had some German angels that day!

Popular Posts