My Dad, My Hero

My dad sent me an e-mail this morning that will have to serve as my blog for today as I have a paper due in half hour (only one more page to go). I love my dad's stories and this one helped my heart so much, so I wanted share the wealth. Thank you, Daddy, and everyone else who supports me. 4 more schools days to go!!!

Mom told me about your phone call yesterday and your sense of being overwhelmed. Bear with me while I relay a story to you that may help…

During my army basic training (insert your eye-roll here) we came to an important part of our training dealing with rifles and rapid fire. We were to fire at man-shaped targets for scores based on hits and time expended. Pass and you move on, fail and you start basic training over again (not good).

As we started the process of learning how to pass, we learned our first lesson. During our first attempt, six man-shaped targets popped up in our lanes. The closest was maybe 20 yards away and the farthest maybe 80 yards away. They gave you something like six seconds to knock them all down. The command was given to fire, so, all of us started at the farthest away and worked our way closer, surmising that the closest would be the easiest and fastest to knock, so we would save them for the end.

At the conclusion of the practice firing, our instructor did not even bother to check our scores. He said we all failed.

He said we were thinking too rationally, like civilians. We should have been thinking tactically, like soldiers. We should have gone after the closest targets first, because they represented the biggest threat. Start with the closest threat first and work your way down range to the farthest.

So what's my point? You need to think tactically like a student/soldier and go after your closest threat first, i.e. Your semester finals/tests…all other threats are secondary. Forget relationships, blogs, Christmas etc etc…..Your tests are quickly over, there is a time limit on your "pain and suffering". Just get through that and you're home. There will be plenty of time for the other things later.


Anybody that knows and loves you will understand your lack of contact during this time. You will have time to relax and connect again after this short period. Put all else behind you.
Mom and I are very proud of you and want you to "finish strong". We look forward to seeing you "walk the stage" in April.


Thanks for listening to my "war story". Love and miss you, DAD

Comments

Aly sun said…
Finish well. Love this story from your dad. I haven't heard ANY war stories from him, so it was fun to read. I like that idea of tackling the closest obstacles first. I'm going to try that. Right now actually.
Anonymous said…
Daddies are the best!
I will allow you to ignore me for the week as long as you spend next Sunday with me :)
Anonymous said…
Army Dad's rock! HOOOAAAHHHHH!!!! I know because I too an am Army Dad and a lil pig owner :) Good luck on your finals and remember UK could possibly be the greatest place on earth.

Popular Posts