An Open Letter to Purple Orchid Inn Resort & Spa
One highlight was when a member of my group wanted to change her services from a facial to a massage. ___ and _____ were very patient with me to work out the times. However, [a member of my group] paid $150 and ended up receiving a $125 service. I ask that you please credit that back on my card so that I can reimburse her.
I need to let you know of a few things that were quite disappointing about my experience on Saturday, hoping that this can be remedied.
1) I expected to be greeted with calmness and eagerness.
[You were] eager—for my money. That was the first thing she asked for when we walked in the door and my party thought it was quite rude that my special occasion was not even acknowledged. But I shook it off hoping to have a great day.
2) I expected a room for my group.
Per a conversation with ______, parties get a room at the resort to change and spread out in. I was given an apology that a wedding was booked and we lost our room. We had to stay in the spa lounge area and changing room and had to SHARE lockers! When we first talked, _____ knew a wedding would be booked that day, so why wasn’t a room saved for me? We paid with money that was just as good as anyone else’s. Again, I shook it off, hoping to have a great day.
3) I expected to be the only party at the spa.
When I first booked, I was told that our party of 10 or more would get the spa all to ourselves. I know that you are a business and tried to fit another group in to make more money, but that decision you made led to booking a group that was mean and rude to my friends and family and I am mortified. They took over the pool area and we were nothing but nice to them and we had to hear them talking about us all morning. I was so angry, but I was trying to let nothing ruin my “relaxing” day. My friends also held back on confrontation out of courtesy for the other guests around the pool. I realize that Purple Orchid is not responsible for their actions, but had we been the only spa group as promised, this never would have happened.
4) I expected a fruit plate (pic posted below)
When I got out of my first treatment, I saw the fruit plate on the table. The kitchen staff had boasted earlier that “they combined two fruit plates into one big one for me!” When I saw it, my eyes welled with tears. YOU CALL THAT A FRUIT PLATE? 2 cantaloupes and 3 oranges? I paid $84 for a fruit plate—you know, one worth something with strawberries and grapes and blueberries and maybe pineapples, but what I got was an $84 scam. Two people in my party were even allergic to oranges. I’ve enclosed a photo of the “oh-so-valuable” fruit plate that is now a joke among the group that I was with. The joke, mind you, is on me for paying for that disaster. I’m so very disappointed. I waited to be approached by the staff to say as much, but no one every came by to ask. I was quickly whisked away to my next treatment and when that was over it was almost lunchtime. I fully expect to be reimbursed the entire $84 ($70 plus 20% tip) for that fruit plate. Next time, you might want to go above and beyond instead of being mediocre.
I’m a marketing professional and have no choice but to be appalled by all the services around me except for the spa staff. I’m chalking up this day to experience and am glad we had other plans afterward to shake the bad morning from memory. In the meantime, I’ll be looking for a check or a credit for $109.00 for the spa services not performed and the nonexistent fruit plate. If I don’t receive it, I will post this as an open letter on the web anywhere that will let me. Purple Orchid, a beautiful place with all the potential in the world, fell miles below my expectations. The worst part for you is, my aunt was looking at this place for a future wedding and has decided against it. You had one morning to make an impression and you certainly did-- and it wasn't a good one.
http://www.purpleorchid.com/Their Response:
We are sorry that your experience with us was not up to your expectations. But unfortunately, any cancellations/changes should have been emailed to us prior to your spa group appointment. As it states in a e-mail confirmation sent to you on 8-31-2010 that we also have on our computer and I have put it as a attachment above. Changes on the spot for [a member of my party] were made to accommodate what she wanted on that day, so there will be no refund because it is a 3 day cancellation/changes policy.
Regarding a separate room for your group, we were unfortunately unable to provide because the wedding party had bought out the whole Purple Orchid Inn prior to your booking.
At the time of your booking you were the only spa party. Several days prior to your spa day four ladies wanted to come in at 8am. Since we had the availability we could not turn them away per Policy.
As for the fruit plate, that was not the one that we had served that day. That was half eaten by your guests. If you wanted a selection of all different types of fruit's as you mentioned in your e-mail or you had specific needs and people that were allergic to different kinds of fruit's, this all should had be requested prior to your spa day in an e-mail to ______. No refund will be received.
Tawny, we do our very best to accommodate spa guests!
The moral of this story? Never, ever even think of going to this place unless you wanted to be called a liar and be treated with disrespect. There's too many businesses out there that work hard for the satisfaction of their customers to stand for this. If any member of my group would also like to write them, please send an e-mail to: info@purpleorchid.com.

Comments
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.