From Queen Valdean to the Titanic
It's been a birthday kind-of-season. The weekend after Andy left, it was straight to Lake Tahoe where the youngest 4 Friesen sisters gathered for their birthday parties, which all fall with a month of one another. Aunt Valdean turned *Who Cares* on September 1st, Aunt Marlene was 60 on August 21st, Mama was 62 on August 31st, and Aunt Pat turned somwhere around there on August 5th (yes, I know the real answer, but I don't want her wrath for posting it!). I'm pretty thrilled with the genes I have if I am going to look this good as I get older.
The lake house was gorgeous.
Mom and Mallory and I stayed at a nearby hotel that was... cozy? We froze the first night there by the lake and I hadn't packed any long sleeve shirts. Good thing I brought my knee socks.
The cousins shown here are mocking the usual "Friesen Sisters" photo.
The boat ride on the Queen Valdean was... tame. In fact this photo was taken while we were moving.
A week later, I dined with my friends Matt and Christine who invited me out last minute and we were out for hours. Among things that we discussed was writing and they encouraged me to make a "go" at it for real. They helped me with envision my future and plan my next goals and I think you'll see the fruits of that dinner within the next year.
This past weekend, I'd signed up to run my first 5k (3.1 miles)-- and I was quite nervous. I've had this goal for awhile, but right before my 31st, it was time. When I awoke at 6am the morning of the race, I thought I was crazy and wanted to back out, but then I would have to tell Andy. So, I got up and after eating breakfast and putting my tennis shoes on there was no going back.When I saw the scene that awaited me, I was SO glad I'd come-- it was gorgeous!
I thought all the working out I'd been doing meant it would be fairly easy. Now I know what exactly to push through really means. Sophie went with me on the race and was a bundle of energy. She made me so proud as the smallest doggy there!
The best news of the day was that my pants kept threatening to fall down (time for smaller pants... or a belt). I had a bet with Andy that I would be in over 40 minutes, but he had faith in me. I came in at 36:36 and was ecstatic. (I owe you, Fett!)
After a shower for me and a bath for pup, I headed to Walnut Creek where Jason and Di wanted to take me out for my birthday. They drove me to Sonoma and a cute little place called Murphy's Pub where I had the most memorable fish tacos of my life. Sonoma was quiet and quaint. I had fun being on a date with them :) Just kidding. I kept Andy close via text messaging. Ah, the wonders of technology.
Question: Why did the lady we chose to take our photo hate our feet so much?
Question: Why did the lady we chose to take our photo hate our feet so much?
Sunday funday. Oh man, all was well until I got out of the car in the morning. Before that I was all cocky that "I wasn't even that sore. Ha!" Then when I felt the twinge and started walking like my Dad, I knew that I was in for it. That afternoon, Mal and I tried to take a "quick trip" the the mall. I asked Mal if I was walking funny and she said, "Maybe next time you'll want to remove the stick from your behind." I took a nap to try to recuperate and it felt a little better that night. And by better, I mean that I greeted my friends at Chili's looking like I had just ridden a horse.
A million calories and a couple drinks later, I was able to pose vertically with Victoria, Mallory, Lindsay, Amanda, and Janie. We had so much fun. I laughed the whole time.
A package had arrived from South Dakota on Saturday and I stared at the parcel until Monday, when I woke up excited to open it. I know it's a bit untoward to talk about gifts, but this one I have to tell you about. It's not "what" that's cool, it's "why."
I opened it to reveal one of Andy's many talents. He'd hand drawn this picture of me and Sophie and took my breath away in the process. I was stunned that anyone could have that kind of talent (and the patience it takes to spend so much time staring at my face!). When I called him to thank him, I said, "Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls...." Just kidding, Dad!!! The card he'd sent was quite special as well. I'm very much enjoying this journey with Andy *fairly* close by.
He'd taken this photo off of facebook.
I mean look at this detail! I now own a Fett original. Eat that, Picasso!
It's been quite a w-i-l-d ride with different reasons to celebrate and I thank God for every single person He's put in my life. Hey, don't wait for a birthday to go out and party-- I'll go to Chili's anytime!







Comments
Two: OH MY GOSH! Great picture! He did such a great job...wow! Very impressed and obviously you are too *wink wink*
Great post! Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.