Bryan Adams Has Probably Written a Song About What I Am Going Through...
A week ago, I was still in Belle Fourche, South Dakota visiting Andy for the first time in his neck of the woods. I went from my town of 250,000 to his town of 5,000. Here is the pure white story of my 3 days in the Black Hills.
The first leg of the flight to Salt Lake City was fairly uneventful, as I slept peacefully the entire way (This blog is brought to you by Xanax), and I woke up a little groggy, excited to sleep on the next much smaller and scarier plane in to Rapid City, SD.
When I got on the plane though, I looked at my seat and back to my ticket. A lady was in my seat-- the window seat. I was automatically cranky because I could sleep much better by the window than the aisle. As I approached her, I asked as nicely as I could muster, "Oh you want the window seat, I take it? She pointed to the seat next to her, "Yeah, there's a seat here next to me; it doesn't matter." Internally, I grumbled, "It's does matter, that's why I brought it up," but I relented anyway and settled in for the 70 minute flight. That's when Lady, not sensing my ire or my desire to sleep, started asking questions. Over the next hour and 10 minutes, she told me about her work, kids, and the fact that she lives in Sonoma, CA and travels back and forth from South Dakota often because she has a cabin and horses in this beautiful land that I was about to visit. I was excited as I told her that I'd just visited Sonoma for the first time a month ago with Jason and Di-- turns out she lives just blocks away from where we were. My interest peaked, and I told her stories of Andy and I. I'm pretty sure we annoyed the rest of the passengers with our laughter-- the story isn't really that funny, but I threw the Tawny-spin on it. I really never thought I'd have so much fun talking to a stranger on a plane. We parted ways with her giving me her number "to call if I ended up going to Prairie Berry winery on Friday." She said she would be close by and would come meet us there.
I told her to *sneakily* watch for me after we got off the plane and she could see Andy-- he'd be the man I was hugging. Well, after we got off the plane, she went to freshen up and I high-tailed it straight to Boyfriend. There he was! In the tiny airport, we walked a mere 20 feet to wait for my checked baggage and caught up as he grabbed my suitcase. No sooner had we turned around to leave did I begin, "I met a friend on the flight over, her name is Kathi..." Those words were hanging in the air as Kathi rounds the corner with her arms open wide, coming toward Andy. He hugged her as I laughed. Andy, Kathi. Kathi, Andy. In all of her spunk she said, "Call me tomorrow now, you got it?" and waltzed off. Andy turned to me for the explanation. "Um, I met a friend, like I was saying. She likes you already. Almost as much as I do." He shook his head, barely surprised that I had already made a contact in SD.
When I got on the plane though, I looked at my seat and back to my ticket. A lady was in my seat-- the window seat. I was automatically cranky because I could sleep much better by the window than the aisle. As I approached her, I asked as nicely as I could muster, "Oh you want the window seat, I take it? She pointed to the seat next to her, "Yeah, there's a seat here next to me; it doesn't matter." Internally, I grumbled, "It's does matter, that's why I brought it up," but I relented anyway and settled in for the 70 minute flight. That's when Lady, not sensing my ire or my desire to sleep, started asking questions. Over the next hour and 10 minutes, she told me about her work, kids, and the fact that she lives in Sonoma, CA and travels back and forth from South Dakota often because she has a cabin and horses in this beautiful land that I was about to visit. I was excited as I told her that I'd just visited Sonoma for the first time a month ago with Jason and Di-- turns out she lives just blocks away from where we were. My interest peaked, and I told her stories of Andy and I. I'm pretty sure we annoyed the rest of the passengers with our laughter-- the story isn't really that funny, but I threw the Tawny-spin on it. I really never thought I'd have so much fun talking to a stranger on a plane. We parted ways with her giving me her number "to call if I ended up going to Prairie Berry winery on Friday." She said she would be close by and would come meet us there.
I told her to *sneakily* watch for me after we got off the plane and she could see Andy-- he'd be the man I was hugging. Well, after we got off the plane, she went to freshen up and I high-tailed it straight to Boyfriend. There he was! In the tiny airport, we walked a mere 20 feet to wait for my checked baggage and caught up as he grabbed my suitcase. No sooner had we turned around to leave did I begin, "I met a friend on the flight over, her name is Kathi..." Those words were hanging in the air as Kathi rounds the corner with her arms open wide, coming toward Andy. He hugged her as I laughed. Andy, Kathi. Kathi, Andy. In all of her spunk she said, "Call me tomorrow now, you got it?" and waltzed off. Andy turned to me for the explanation. "Um, I met a friend, like I was saying. She likes you already. Almost as much as I do." He shook his head, barely surprised that I had already made a contact in SD.
That evening we stayed in Rapid City for dinner, and I got to meet his sister and brother-in-law who joined us. Heather and Dustin ("Feather-Duster") were great and we could have talked much longer but it was a work night for them. Heather and I had already met through facebook; just before I came out she helped me surprise Andy with a gift (I owed him wine for a bet we had back when I ran the 5k, and alcohol can't be shipped into or in South Dakota so she bought it and made the drop for me). It was around 9pm when we made the hour trip to "Belle" --that's what the locals call it. The only thing disturbing about the freeways (um Interstates is the correct word, I think) is that if someone has died on the road there is a marker at the spot. Not just any marker, it looks like this:
Or the even more "in your face" version was:
I made Andy promise that if a drunk driver took me out, that I would get flowers and a white cross instead. Those signs positively creeped me out.
Once we arrived, I was exhausted but I remember passing a couple cows and then his apartment complex just appeared out of nowhere (he said we took the back way, but I went the front way another time. Not sure I could tell the difference :). Oh. My. Stars. You wouldn't believe the stars in this part of the world if I told you. The sky seems close enough to touch. It was incredible. Andy's apartment was nice and new (and yes, 2 bedrooms!).
Friday was Monument Day and I was SO excited to have clear skies and fun plans ahead of us. On our way out of town, we passed through Spearfish, the city where Andy works and spends 90% of his time. I loved it. There as no way to described it except for clean. Polished. Manicured. I think I expected to much to be weather damaged that when I saw actual pretty buildings and green lawns I was shocked. God sure knew how to make His world! We stopped into his office to meet a coworker (only one because we didn't want to walk to the back to announce that he was there on his day-off).
Mount Rushmore was next and I was giddy to see it. The town we drove through was totally patriotic and the excitement just built until-- there they were!
South Dakota really has some chiseled men! (joke credit: Jen Sasser). You have all GOT to put Mount Rushmore on your life to-do list. A and I found out that behind the right side of this photo below, there was a tunnel that was built that was supposed to be the "Hall of Records" where all of the most important national documents were to reside, but that project was never completed. They did make copies of the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc. and seal them in the Hall. I felt like I was in a National Treasure movie!
No disrespect to the President's, but that ledge was perfect for planking. Andy instigated this one, for I had chickened out, but with only a handful of people there he insisted it was now or never.
Andy got a turn too, but turned his face to not be identified when the feds came a-calling.
Ah, the joy of coupledom-- the single person photo!
Oh good, a nice stranger came to our rescue. We really were there together!
The museum room that explained all about the monument at the sculptor and the President's and how they did it was the most fascinating. Only hunger and our time sensitive schedule kept us from reading everything there was to read. The 15 min video was also totally worth watching.
On the way to Prairie Berry Winery, the next stop on our tour, I lamented, "Oh no, I forgot Kathi's phone number in my backpack! I'm so bummed." I'd try to inquire about her when I got to the winery, but know it was a long shot.
Andy and I ate our pre-packed picnic lunch in the parking lot after already cracking open the Sun Chips on the road, and then went into Prairie Berry Winery for our free tasting. We explained to Jessica, our server, that there was this lady Kathi who knows the owner Ralph really well. She might be coming through and you have to tell her that I tried to find her. The staff stammered and said that Ralph was probably gone and "oh darn" we just missed him. Just then someone sidled up next to me said, "Come here often?" I screamed and hugged Kathi like she was a long-lost friend whom I hadn't seen in a decade. It was strange to recognize someone in this unfamiliar new place. She hugged Andy too and gushed, "I just came in for more wine!" (If Leslie or Vanessa are reading this, she absolutely reminded me of Ron's sister!). We were finishing our tasting and she walked up with a new bottle and two glasses and said, "Here's some glasses for you two-- we're out on the patio, so come out when you are done." Andy was up for the social detour and I will thrilled to see where this was headed. Outside was a table full of food and wine-- and the owner, Ralph. The fact that Andy and I had just eaten didn't stop us-- we sampled some more. Even the food was incredible. We talked and laughed for about an hour before 1) Ralph said I was a perfect fit for his busniess and offered me a job and 2) Gave us an exclusive tour of the winery. Yes, I had a job offer less then 24 hours in South Dakota. Innnnnteresting. I wonder if there is background check involved? ;)
Here's Kathi, Andy, Kathi's friend Kay, and Ralph.
The moral of this story that I tell you in SO much detail is the fact that A and I had a lovely afternoon and were invited to 2 more dinners with this crew (that we couldn't make), but allll of this almost didn't happen. If I was any crankier to her on the plane, things would have been much different. It was a very humbling lesson.
We rushed to Crazy Horse because we wanted to see that and Outlaw Ranch before the sun set. Crazy Horse was crazy expensive. We paid it just to get in closer to get photos but we weren't as impressed with the explanation of the monument. I think it was Shawna Dean who told me about Crazy Horse long ago when I worked with her and I remember checking out the story then. When we arrived, I was bummed that no more had happened from what I saw online 5 years ago. Andy said it was the same as when he saw it 10 years ago-- they've been at it for 50 years now! The statue/view below was my favorite because you could almost picture it completed. It'll truly be a marvel, you know, for my grandchildren who will get to see the finished product!
Look. At. That. Sky. The day was perfect. We broke more rules by going behind a gate for this photo, but staff was all around and didn't seem to mind. We had too much fun owling that we forgot to get a serious photo in front of Mr. Horse.
We made it to Outlaw Ranch and a place called "Inspiration Point" right as the sun was setting. The sunlight streamed through the trees like something from a movie. (Inspiration Point was a place that they went for worship at the camp, it was not a make-out place. Well, now it is. JUST KIDDING!!!) Outlaw Ranch was cool and it I loved seeing it because it held so many stories that Andy had told me about. The Welcome Center was dedicated this past summer, and I was so proud to see it because: Andy designed it!
On the hour drive back towards Belle, it got dark and we decided that it was the best time to stop into Deadwood. Dad, I wanted to call you in Deadwood so badly. It was saturated with cowboy history and I wanted nothing more than to be in my boots and saunter into a saloon. Now this town was cool. We ordered a beer at Saloon Number 10, where Wild Bill Hickok was killed. My beer came in a can- Andy was gracious and got me a glass. I mean I was in enough culture shock--a beer out of a can was a little too much for me. We got one last photo in (if I look pale that is because I hit exhaustion right about here) and then each played a dollar on the slot machines. We each then lost a dollar and headed home, ordering nachos to pick up in Spearfish 20 minutes later, then heading the last 15 minutes home.
Getting out of the car at the nacho place was hard. I had hit my wall. And then I found out that they'd forgotten to make the nachos. I was given Andy silent eye signals that I was about to say something and his eyes pleaded with me to let it go. I didn't want Andy to have to boycott this place because I'd embarrassed him by throwing a fit. So we waited the extra 10 minutes and then got into the car. Silence. I was silent-- he was worried. I just had nothing left, mumbling when we got back that I needed a bath to revive me and then I could eat. I couldn't keep my head up otherwise. It was only 9pm back home-- how wimpy could I be? The bath helped and then we ate the now soggy nachos and watched Sneakers. The day was still wonderful and ended on a good note. Until I had to go in and wake Andy that night that I got a bloody nose (my first in at least a decade) that I mistook for a runny nose. I had gotten blood everywhere and was mortified. I needed a new pillowcase. He shook his head as we soaked fabric in cold water "Life with you is NOT boring."
The next day we met his friend's Ryan and Mackenzie. They have a 2 year old son, Connor and a 5-month old daughter Addison. They reminded me of a younger Tommy and Maura so it was fun to know how to talk to them. While I was holding Addison, Connor climbed onto the back of the couch to sit on top and watch out the front window. Then someone started an edger in their front yard and the sound was loud. He was very concerned, "It's ok?" "Yes, Connor, it's ok. Someone is just working outside," his mom assured him. He climbed down and still looked worried. Every time this edger went he would ask, "It's ok?" and he would have to be reassured. At first I thought, "That's bizarre, he we are telling him it's ok and he doesn't believe us." Then I told Andy later that it hit me as I watched this interaction how much things sound scary to us and we ask God, "It's ok?" When he reassures us that it is, we should trust Him because he has our best interest at heart, just like these new parents. But we still question our safety sometimes instead of resting in the Truth-- that it all really is ok.
Andy then took me to Spearfish Canyon which I thought was a glorified basin until he mentioned "waterfalls." It was a gorgeous fall day and we cruised to Spearfish Canyon noting what an awesome artist the Lord is.
This is their "Bridal Veil Falls." Yosemite is laughing in the background. I guess Spring is the time to come see this one, but still I found it beautiful.
We then drove to the trail that we needed to walk about a mile to get to Roughlock falls.
This one cracks me up-- I feel like we could be a studio at Olan Mills with this scene as one of the background choices.
The falls didn't fall very far, but it was worth the walk.
*Any excuse to get close*
I was wearing wedge booties and was cracking myself up the whole time asking "Will my boots get ruined?" "Think people like my boots?" or the ever-popular, "Will you please take a photo and make sure you get my boots."
He wanted an aerial jump photo. This was my favorite.
This was his favorite.
That evening we went to a Murder Mystery House Party, and we were going to go to the "event" and then go out to date night since were already dressed up. Well, the M.M. thingy was supposed to go from 7-9pm, but didn't start until 8:30 and went until almost midnight. We were characters in this game so we were locked in a couldn't leave so we made the best of it. My competitive side came out and Andy and I ended up winning-- the prize was a book about random facts from the Late Show with David Letterman. It was a cool gift! He was Mike Robe, an infamous and overly inquisitive bio-terrorism researcher. I was Pawnie McQueen, the overly-agressive professional chess player. Oh great. There was no being shy at this party- I even annoyed myself with my overly aggressive manner. We came home and took this photo (we'd done the whole party in glitter masks and I am still finding glitter in my clothes!) His friends were really a lot of fun, but it's bad that they think that I am a bully.
It was Sunday already and I got to go to church with him. He told everyone there that we met that I was his girlfriend and I felt special :) It was at lunch that the fact that this was my last day started to seep in and try to bum us out completely. It was a defining day for us- one full of a lot of questions and not many answers. We didn't have many plans this last day, but it had some of my favorite moments.
Sunday afternoon we watched "The Italian Job" back at his place and fought to NOT take a nap. Then we headed out to go to go to Connor's 2-year old birthday party, stopping first at this monument of the "Center of the United States" which is in Belle Fourche. Andy had never been there before. I kept calling it "The Center of the Earth" by mistake, and then decided that Belle was indeed now the center of my world.
I was a Little Teapot on the Center of the U.S.
Let's get serious here:
After the birthday party, Andy made me fajitas for dinner while I packed. Dinner was good but heavy. Ok there were tears. See? Wimpy. He broke the ice by literally saying "C'mon, we need to put ice on your back" (I am so old, my back was quite sore this weekend). He put ice on my back then he did the dishes while I laid on the floor and read to him from the David Letterman book. We were cracking up. When he was done with the dishes he laid on kitchen floor next to me, staring up and rating the quotes in order of "funny." It was so natural and fun and I cherished it all.
It was off to bed early that night, for we had to be up at 3:30am to leave for the airport at 4am. He walked me to the security gate at the airport Monday morning and shocked me with a “Tawny, I love you” after kissing me good-bye. It was so romantic and dream-like. That is also why I adore him so. He has to power to surprise me just when I think I have him figured out. I said it back with confidence because I'd been feeling that way for awhile, and was ever more sure now after our real, exciting, honest, adventurous and non-perfect weekend.
I'm now back home with Sophie which was one of the only reasons I even got back on the plane. I'll be honest-- it's very hard to be in love from afar. To try to be home and "act normal" when my heart is 1,400 miles away. My head has been praying like crazy: "What now??" I look forward to seeing what God has in store with our story. It's only 46 days until he gets here for Thanksgiving. Until then, someone in South Dakota loves me.




Comments
You know I love you and really enjoy you sharing your adventures and "A" with us.
Since you're such a busy lady & you haven't had time to tell me all your trip stories, it was fun to able to read them this way.
Love you, Mom
Post a Comment
Sorry that I had to add a word verification to my site-- I have been getting too much spam. Thank you so much for your comments.