So Much to Learn.

 I was thinking about doing a "year in review' blog, but I'm still in so much transition that a wrap-up won't be worth anything because I have so few conclusions. Since I've probably given far too many details in the past, I won't stop now... even if I have more questions than answers. 

For the past week I've been so tired. Passing out tired. Hibernation tired. Narcoleptic tired. It all started as one of the most difficult weeks I've ever had-- struggling with being away from everything I'm used to; trying to not let it get to me because others have it so much worse than I. Don't get me wrong... I was excited to visit with Andy's family in Minnesota, but the the unknown made me a nervous wreck. Cathy (Redding) gave me great advice to enjoy the new traditions and people, so before I left with Andy I had made a new resolve that God knew where I was so I could be at peace, and that Modesto life would go on just fine without me. It was that realization that hurt the most.

There's been a lot that I have been processing out loud and Sophie has taken on a new role as my "Wilson" as I feel like I am starring in the Midwest version of Cast Away. I don't tell you this for you to pity me, I tell you because the things I thought would be hard about moving were easy and it's the things that I didn't expect to be hard are the things that are growing me up really fast.

Last Thursday Andy and I set out for Sioux Falls. Andy's friends, siblings, and parents were incredible. I felt at ease and at home immediately. It's too bad that I couldn't stay awake for very long. Even Sophie made herself into a burrito more than once.

 Christmas Eve I wasn't supposed to take a nap even thought I kept joking about it. Andy snapped this before waking me for Christmas Eve Services. His Dad gave the sermon and we sang Silent Night by candlelight. It was incredible.

It was after the service they taught me pinochle and that woke me right up (for an extra hour or two). I was a monster, making sure we played cards whenever we had any downtime. I appreciate them for obliging my competitive spirit.

Speaking of downtime:

Since I was so weary and never once got out my actual camera to capture the events, here is a photo that Andy's parents gave me at Christmas. The plates are how they found out from their oldest son and daughter-in-law that they were going to be grandparents. Meet Mr. & Mrs. Fett (Randy and Jan).
On Monday we took the long way home, stopping in Miller, SD to meet his grandparents. Andy was so embarrassed when a herd of cattle stopped us on the Highway, exclaiming, "Really? My California girlfriend is here to witness this and this has never happened to me before." The wind was blowing snot all over his car. It was totally disgusting.

It was hard to miss Christmas at home, but I learned that home is in our hearts and not a physical place. I kept thinking that God has his Son born in a stable-- if Mary and Joseph didn't feel lost then I had no right to. People may not see but God does.

My favorite gift was one I gave to nephew Tommy. Mom thinks I need to write children's books but I think I just need to write period. Hey, they we go--that is my resolution this year: get more people to read what I write. Thanks for your contribution.

Tommy's Dinosaur Park Photo Book
(if this doesn't work I'll have to post it later):


Time to head out with Andy to a NYE dinner at the nice Italian restaurant here in town (leave the flannel at home!). I pray that every one of you have a safe and fabulous new year. And who wants to bet that I don't stay awake until Midnight??? xoxo.



Comments

I missed this blog...glad I read today :) Keep up the good writing!

Popular Posts